48mm Zochs bush wear

skidmarx

My 2013 48 Zochs have done just over the 1000 miles and are showing signs of bush wear. I mostly ride trails with the occasional event so a little surprised. Has anyone else come across wear so soon or am I just being slack on the servicing. I recently had the springs replaced (down to 4,0 weight) and moved the internal preload to the lightest groove and have noticed the play since then. Any advice people?

How was the oil when you changed the springs? Did you check the actual preload on the spring? Did you split the legs and visually inspect the bushings? I pretty much pulled my forks down after the first ride to remove any contamination from break in and there was a bit. I have a spare set of bushings on hand (be warned they aren't cheap), and hope to not have to use them too soon.

How much have you been torquing the lower clamp bolts to? Have you removed one of them to reduce clamping pressure?

Also does anyone know of a pfp bushing crossover?

I'd like to know this too. The price on the compression service kit is even more outrageous than the fork bushings. I've asked Dave at Suspension Matters to follow up a price on them through Beta au when he gets back from his tour.

I have a feeling that my comp assembly bushing will be the first one that needs replacing. One showed some light wear in one area when pulled down early on. I'll be replacing mine at the next service.

Jakobi, so many questions.... To be honest the forks were worked on by a local MX suspension tuner so I have no idea how the oil was. He's back from holidays next week so will be having a chat.
The triple clamps have been torqued to the book every time the forks have been out so unlikely to be the cause.
Are you suggesting that there could be debris in the valves preventing oil from working the bushes?
Thanks for the replys Guys.

Skids

Lower triples by the book is what? I'd only recommend 10-13Nm on the lowers. I know others who have gone even lower, but the forks can twist a bit easier in an off. 18-20Nm on the upper.

I don't think there is any oil starvation issues, but any contamination from break-in or use gets circulated around and often finds its way into the bushings.

The book says 15Nm top & bottom, and it still twists a little with a slight off. I'm going to have them apart this week and get a visual on the state of the bushing. Will let you know what happens. Cheers

Skids.

You don't need 15nm on the lowers, esp not with 3 pinch bolts.
I run mine at 8-10nm. The uppers are at 20nm. They do twist in bigger offs, but small ones they're fine.
One thing my tuner pointed out to me when I had the forks done is the top bush landing is too flat and due to the wider surface area of the lower clamps the bush has a lot of friction when going through, no doubt causing wear in the process. If you want to experience just how bad the friction can be, take out all but the middle bolt on the triple and go for a short ride on bumpy terrain and note how much smoother they are.
My tuner machined the landing area so the top bushing can flex on its way through the lower clamp = much better.

I'd like to know this too. The price on the compression service kit is even more outrageous than the fork bushings. I've asked Dave at Suspension Matters to follow up a price on them through Beta au when he gets back from his tour.

GG does not even offer the compression and rebound service kit...Greenland MX and Motocrosscenter simply can't get them form GG...
Also tried Beta but price is indeed outrageous for 2 bushings and a couple of O-rings... Anyone here using other option ?

I can find it, but some said that the KYB 48 SSS bushings were a perfect fit. I have not done it yet, but did write it down for later use. I believe it was in one of the suspension threads.

I can find it, but some said that the KYB 48 SSS bushings were a perfect fit. I have not done it yet, but did write it down for later use. I believe it was in one of the suspension threads.

Some have said that yes, but I've got a bag of KYB bushings that says it ain't so.

Just had my forks serviced needed all the bushings replaced. Matto Cycle found a cross over and has them in stock. Lots cheaper than the OEM about 25 bucks for the set.

Just had my forks serviced needed all the bushings replaced. Matto Cycle found a cross over and has them in stock. Lots cheaper than the OEM about 25 bucks for the set.

Can you get us more info re sizes/cross over brand etc.

I belive they are Showa from my bill I think this is a Honda part number 51414-KRN-A41 Guide bushing and 51415-KRN-A41 Slider bushing

Measured OEM Marzocchi Outer 48x52x15
Measured OEM Marzocchi Inner 46x48x20

47mm Showa Fork Outer Bushing (47 x 51 x 15mm)
48mm Showa Fork Outer Bushing (48 x 52 x 15mm)
48mm KYB Tall Fork Outer Bushing (48 x 52 x 15mm)

48mm Showa Inner Bushing (46 x 48 x 20mm)
48mm WP Inner Bushing (46 x 48 x 20mm)
48mm KYB Inner Bushing (46 x 48 x 20mm)

Next time my fork is down I'm going to measure the comp assembly sizes and see what else crosses over. I also have a OEM set of KYB 48mm bushes I can compare to the Marzocchi.

Thats just running a ruler on them, and crossing against what it says online. I'd like to get the verniers involved as the KYB ones look a bit thicker to the eye.

Back