80 to 1 oil

I figure gasgas know more about the engines so as they say 50:1 I use ......... 50:1 simple!
GasGas is also the company that cuts the head squish twice as large as it should be so they can run on very crappy gas so maybe that 50/1 might be just a bit conservative don't you think. I actually believe that they recommend 50/1 synthetic because that is close to what everyone else uses for recommendation and that is what they jet the carb for. Modern water-cooled 2strokes are built to very similar tolerances and designed to run at very similar temperatures - that is what dictates lubrication needs. Simply put the faster and hotter you run your bike the more oil you need to run. Oils are very different, bikes are somewhat different, and how people ride them is vastly different so individual preferences will vary so let's agree on some basics: (1) more oil (than 50/1) is not bad for engine durability (2) more oil (than 32/1) can add a small amount of power due to better ring seal (3) older air-cooled engines require more oil for ring seal because they are built to looser tolerances because of higher operating temps (4) synthetic oils resist heat breakdown better than non-synthetics (5) too much spooge is a jetting issue or a wrong oil (for the heat your engine operates at) not a too much oil issue.
I will add one last comment about pistons since reference has been made to oil and durability. Cast pistons will break apart if subjected to too much heat too many times no matter how much oil you use. Every time your bike overheats even a little it puts stress on that piston. For me that's several times every ride because of long hill climbs with a recluse clutch. I replace my pistons at roughly 150-200 hours (2,000-3,000miles).

Back