A lot of play in back end of bike?

Munch

Hi guys I have a gas gas ec 250 2006 that I recently bought, I had the shock serviced and jetted the carb as it was stored for 3-4 years.

Today was my first ride and I noticed the back end felt all over the place, I checked the swing arm and I noticed a lot of play in it along with the rear wheel bearings.

I have found this kit on ebay: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/All-Balls...hash=item540e3c0514:m:mN3m6IpodwcXFV0068gbW-A
is the above all I need to sort out the play in the swing arm or do I need other bearings too?

It does not sound too hopeful for you linkage if the swing arm is that bad. Sounds like it's time for chassis bearing redo. Good way to get to know your bike. :)

I'd personally avoid all balls. OEM or ProX would be my choice, or OEM bushes and source seals and bearings locally.

Also how much of a job is this? Couple hours?

I would say more like a couple of evenings. It may not have been apart in a long time. In that case the swingarm bolt can be difficult to remove. The play can be in the swingarm bearings, but the swingarm bolt may also be worn / stepped. On my 06 I had quite a project removing it the first time. Involving penetrating oil, a hammer and brute force. Plus time and patience. I ended up replacing the bolt.
Even on my 15 model, the swingarm bolt showed slight wear marks when I had it apart for greasing the first time (after less than 50 hours).

Also, you may need some kind of drift / tool to get the linkage bushings and bearings shifted. I have turned some alu pieces in my lathe and use the vice to press them out.

But you might be lucky. If everything slides nice and easy its not that much work.

Sent fra min GT-I9295 via Tapatalk

Last edited:
Back