Air Cleaner

erniebearskin

Cant believe I am asking this on a public forum but how and the funk do you change the air cleaner on 2011 EC300? Seriously Ive been staring at this for an hour. I cant even get the side cover off. Started missing my Berg for a couple seconds.

I just take the seat off, and remove it from above without much fuss. Of course mine is kick only, so e-start models might be more cumbersome.

more cumbersome is an understatement, fought mine again for 15 minutes again tonight - man I hate that setup. I may try a lithium battery so that I can make the tray smaller. I just can't get a grip on that stupid plunger thing. Then I always worry about not having the darn filter sealed, there isn't a real feel when it slips into place. I always have to run the filter looking for gaps.

Yeah, one would think that something that critical and requiring frequent maintenance would have been given a little better implementation. I was telling someone else, that I think they built the freaking bike around the air box, that has to be why it is so hard to change.

E-start or kicker? With e-start drinking heavily first helps, if only to muffle the horrible cursing that's sure to ensue when you get the seat off. Do a search here about making the left side of the box open up though - it will make life in the future easier.

In any case the arrow that you would expect to point to 12 o'clock is actually closer to 12:45 - that will get the pins inside the mouth of the boot and the sealing edge flat when you manage to get the filter in.

All moderen MX bikes are the same way...so no difference for me.

As for sealing the air filter...take care that the filter cage is firmly in place all around the edges, it's easy to leave one side open.
I run my hand around the edges to make damn sure the filter is in right before I put the seat back on.

Not sure how your model actually looks but on the 12 i just pop the seat off then undo 4 bolts on the battery pack and move it back with the excess cable on the battery too easy.

The 2011's had a fixed plate for the battery Nato. So imagine the same as your 2010 with only half as much room to work with.

I've got the 2011 with electric start. Its difficult but you get accustomed to it. Just line up the pins and make sure the filter is seated flush with the intake. There isn't an easy way to do it. Just don't tear your filter on the edge of the battery box. I can put mine on in four or five minutes now but it is still a pain in the neck.

I think you guys are making it harder than it needs to be. Take the left side cover bolt out then remove the plastic pin or better yet convert it to a bolt setup. Pop the left cover off and then its no different than any other air filter. Except it has the cool little spring loaded pin which I really like now that I am accustomed to it.

on the 11 estart,pop off the left side panel(loose the stupid plastic pin at the back,you don't need it anyway,and pop off the seat. now you can reach in the top and from the side and release/see the filter and what your doing as you contort thr filter in and out. What were they thinking when they welded the battery tray in solid? engineers that do stuff like that should be fired and run out of town!

Back