Air Filter Oiling

smithy919

I've tried various methods of oiling up an air filter.
I've tried tipping oil into a plastic bag and then working the oil into the filter followed by squeezing out the excess.
I've also tried the spray oil can method and also the using a small brush to paint the oil outside and inside.
Whats the best method to avoid oiling the filter too much and ending up choking the engine?

After a good clean with filter cleaner then soap and water I let it dry. Then use maxima oil. I put on latex gloves and spray it on. Then work it in. If it doesn't cover good I add to it.

I just pour it into the inside of the filter and massage it through. Add a bit more as required until well coated. If you add too much it'll be evident as the excess will be squeezing back out. Can either catch it, or I just use a chux and soak it up and then use the chux cloth other top as an extra dust catcher (filter sock).

Different oils are different viscosities though, so if your particular brand is very thick and hard to work through sometimes thinning it out a little can help get an even application. Just don't go overboard.

After a good clean with filter cleaner then soap and water I let it dry. Then use maxima oil. I put on latex gloves and spray it on. Then work it in. If it doesn't cover good I add to it.

x 2 ... but with UNI filter aerosol cleaner/oil. Has worked great, but the fumes are pretty intense, especially when standing over a sink rinsing. Tried NoToil, but learned the hard way that it requires rim grease (never really needed it with petro filter oil) as it glued the filter to the metal filter box and was really difficult to get the foam off (and it ruined the filter). Will try Maxima next...

Back