All part outs in one thread please...

webmaster

Administrator
Staff member
To MCNUT & others... ;-)

As a suggestion - what seems to have worked well for others in the past is to list all items from a bike part-out in one thread (or a couple of threads - chassis/engine/etc) - then edit the original post to show what is sold versus still available.

A discussion forum isn't real good for posting alot of little stuff like you would on e-bay. It's nearly filled up three pages of the classified section here...

thanks,
jeff

Sorry. I didn't know there was a prescribed procedure. I figured the posts would make it easier for forum members to find what they might need, and increase traffic and that would be good for everybody. I have grouped parts and offered assemblies. I guess you only want me to post once?
I'd be happy to delete the posts of the sold items, but I don't think I can. At least I haven't figured out how.

For myself, a post for each part is easier to follow. I don't have the patience to search a long post to find out what parts have been sold and what parts are still available.

It is very simple and much easier if the seller just continually edits the original post as to what has sold. All a potential buyer would have to do is look at the first post and easily see what is available.

Right now, it looks like CList when a dealer takes over with a blast. It also makes it more difficult to see what others have for sale. Certainly that was not the intention... Right?

Then tidy things up into one post as most have done forever here.
Be kind to your fellow members and allow there items equal exposure instead of taking up 4 PAGES as your own personal EBay store.
Especially when the guy who owns this board politely suggested that you do so.

Ease up everyone.

The aim of the thread was just to let everyone know that a single thread is a preferred option. As suggested, list everything in the main post and edit as parts are sold. You can easily supply links to pictures of each item if you host them elsewhere as well.

As moderators, we haven't had time/desire to merge the current posts, but had to put something in place to ensure this doesn't become common practice.

Thanks everyone.

I'm trying to understand. So you like it if there were lots of posts from lots of people but you don't like it when there's lots of posts from one person? Again, what difference does it make?:confused:
I have done searches for specific info (or parts) on this site. Quite frankly, it's too time-consuming. The info is often buried in posts that are xx or even xxx pages long. I give up before I find what I'm looking for. I'm not trying to be a smart ass. I just don't understand why anyone is upset. I would think anything that increases traffic on the site would please site sponsors.
I would think the bigger problem is having a classified section that is full of parts that have been sold and are no longer available.

I'm going to have to agree with our site admins both as a forum administrator myself and as a forum user for these reasons:

1. As an admin, when you sell something, an admin has to come along behind you and delete the post to keep the classifieds "cleaned up." That assumes you mark the post as sold. So, either the admin spends a ton of useless time deleting a ton of posts or they have a ton of posts sitting around as sold that were never marked as such.
2. As a user, if I'm on the market for some used parts I don't want to click through 50 posts. I want to see a list with descriptions and prices in one post so I can decide quickly if there's anything I need or want. Update your original post when something is sold and move on. That's standard procedure on forums.

Another agreement with the mods, It just keeps things more organized and tidy.

At the very least keep items which fit a particular range say 2005-2007 in one thread, and stuff that fits 2012-whatever in another.

If there is some crossover the buyer will just have to be knowledgeable on that front.

It's not fair to posters who have had an item in the classifieds for some time to get their posted buried by someone who starts 50 threads in a short period of time. Same reason why one shouldn't start a new thread on a topic which already has one or two existing threads discussing the issue already or for every little question they have.

Back