Back into trials

bergerhag

Silver Level Site Supporter
After eight years on enduros I got me a trials bike again. Of course its a Gasgas. A TXT 280 from '00. I had almost forgotten how much fun trials riding is. Are there any trials riders lurkin around here?

attachment.php

Attachments

• gg280.jpg
    gg280.jpg
    125.3 KB · Views: 108
I have an 04 beta 200 that I play with. I sometimes think I should sell all my other bikes and just ride trials for 3 years ... that would certainly get my clutching and braking technique down!!!

i just sold my montesa 314r to help pay for a newer enduro.... i'm sure i'll regret it, but it was not getting the use it used to...

Been loving trials for 6yrs now. Just wish I would have started ages before that. Now, if I was ever limited to keeping just one bike it would be it.

After eight years on enduros I got me a trials bike again. Of course its a Gasgas. A TXT 280 from '00. I had almost forgotten how much fun trials riding is. Are there any trials riders lurkin around here?

attachment.php

That is a clean looking 00 you have there. I've been wanting a trials bike for a while so I'm a little jealous.

I have been looking at a 2004 montesa cota 314 only problem is trying to get my wife to understand why I need it next to my dirt bike!?

Any good arguments welcome

Any thing too look out for on the montesa? Bearing in mind this will be my first trials bike. Have been wanting one for years

314r is a great trials bike. rock solid. i've ridden both 314 and 315. the 314 is a little heavier - but they felt the same to me. the 314 is cable clutch (but incredibly light pull), 315 is hydraulic. 315 is thinner at the knees. the 314 is quite a bit less expensive on the used market, parts are harder to find, but they are out there.

you said 2004? that should be a 315, not 314.

Are there any trials riders lurkin around here?

if by 'here' you mean this website, then yes, well yes because i ride some trials too. i have almost the same bike. yours looks very original and good shape.
i wrapped the pipe and it doesnt burn my leg anymore, especially when the bike is on top.
my buddy has the same bike txt280.
i would just make sure the tires arent cracked too.
have a blast. besy of luck.

Well, my TXT has gotten some love and parts now. Spent some time getting it set up the way I want it, now with a new set of Dunlop 803's i should get some grip on them rocks.
Previous owner didnt care too much about how things was holding together, it was missing plenty of bolts and nuts, broken brackets on mid silencer, electrics all in a mess and fan hotwired to always run. :eek:
I dont fancy it like that...
I think the air box was the home of some rodent, all kinds of sticks, grass and leaves fell out when I opened it for filter replacement.

Anyway this bike had a 9 teeth front sprocket. It was ridiculously slow in first gear. Changed it to the 11 teeth which I assume is std.

314r is a great trials bike. rock solid. i've ridden both 314 and 315. the 314 is a little heavier - but they felt the same to me. the 314 is cable clutch (but incredibly light pull), 315 is hydraulic. 315 is thinner at the knees. the 314 is quite a bit less expensive on the used market, parts are harder to find, but they are out there.

you said 2004? that should be a 315, not 314.

Yes you are right. This is the bike:
http://www.e-dirt.co.za/site/forum_posts.asp?TID=37493&title=2004-montesa-cota-315r-trials-bike

Back