Bad smell from gear oil

Anders

Gold Level Site Supporter
Hello,

As part of my preparations for this years Gotland Grand National, I did a quick service on my 2015 EC200. Air filter, front sprocket, gearbox oil, fixed the heated grips etc.
My bike has done approx 460 hours. I plan to do a top-end service when I get back from Gotland. I think its 130-150 hours since my last piston change.

One thing caught my attension: The gearbox oil had an unfamiliar smell. Since I'm no wine connoisseur, I'm not trained in describing different smells, but my first idea was exhaust or burned two-stroke oil. There was also a surprising amount of thick deposits at the drain plug, but no metal chips at the magnet.

I don't have time to do anything more before leaving for GGN on Wednesday morning, so I'll do the 3 hour race with the bike as it is. Then I plan to dump the oil again, and do the same test with my nose. If it still smells iffy, what do I then do? I guess a leaking exhaust valve could make a passage for the exhaust gasses into the gearbox (through the exhaust valve control rod aperture) ? I can of course service the exhaust valve as a part of the top end service. I did so last time, but would be surprised if it had started leaking after such a "short" interval.

Any other thoughts on this matter?

Ohh I so want to think of something funny.
Have you checked the pv vents are clear?
Especially the bottom one. I used to keep it zip tied under the frame and cut and drain it every year or less.
Is it clogged?

Ohh I so want to think of something funny.
Have you checked the pv vents are clear?
Especially the bottom one. I used to keep it zip tied under the frame and cut and drain it every year or less.
Is it clogged?
A good suggestion! No, I haven't checked. It just hangs there, I guess it could be clogged.

Back