Beta X-Trainer

swazi_matt

So this weekend we had a bunch of old bullets (some almost 70) down here for a riding weekend and in the mix was a beta dealer who brought a '16 Xtrainer and I could not turn down the opportunity to test it.

To give some background to what I ride it is a 2010 ec300 with SP/twowheels tuned kyb sss forks, Scott's damper (because I already had it) and racetech Sachs shock, PV spacer, NEDJ needle and tubliss all round - so it is set up nice and no reason to Change anything

The beta I believe was stock (dealers first ride)
Sitting on it,it felt similar to the GG although a bit lower at the back (poss too much sag) clutch pull is a bit harder than the ajp and no kick start

Riding it feels smaller/lighter than the GG like a heavy trials bike with a seat. The power is on par with the GG but much smoother (very linear), doesn't pull your arms when you accelerate and it has good legs (it will apparently keep up with a KTM 300 on a drag strip and I believe it - you can just keep twisting the throttle ). I rode it on some tight rocky single track paths and some more open jeep tracks and honestly i wouldn't have been any faster on my bike I also felt that the bike could still go faster (and I could go much longer without getting tired on the beta because of the smooth power)

The suspension was faultless with the only downside being the front end felt a bit loose/twitchy this could be because of my bike having a damper or the suspected too much sag - not scary twitchy though more light. And with the light weight of the bike it is slightly easier to throw around and the front end comes up much faster than I am used to. The forks felt fine with no diving or deflection

Bottom line I could switch to this bike in a heartbeat and feel comfortable on it (I usually take a while to adapt to different bikes) this is testament to how similar it is to my bike. A really nice bike a pity I could not ride the 300rr to compare that as well. But for the technical riding I do I could happily buy this bike

Thanks for that great review! I've been thinking of that bike a lot, but I have my gasser right where I want it now. But as a smaller rider, the XTrainer is always in the back of my mind....One of the west coast mag reviews thought the suspension was too easy to blow through...did you find that as well? Did you jump it? And what is your rider weight?

I like the concept of the bike, but....no kickstart = no way would i buy one

If that is your biggest concern when buying a bike, your options will soon be limited I'm afraid. ;)

I have never seen a Xtrainer in the flesh, but I presume it's the same engine cases as the other Beta twostrokes? I that case, I presume a kickstart could be retrofitted (with more or less hassle).

If that is your biggest concern when buying a bike, your options will soon be limited I'm afraid. ;)

I have never seen a Xtrainer in the flesh, but I presume it's the same engine cases as the other Beta twostrokes? I that case, I presume a kickstart could be retrofitted (with more or less hassle).

Yeah i know. I don't know why manufacturers are going down this path? I would much rather have a bike with a kickstarter and no electric start than the other way around.

There is a kit to allow fitment of the kickstarter. On some machines (think Sherco) the cases don't allow this, nor would the frame as there is no relief where the kickstart knuckle would need to swing.

There is a kit to allow fitment of the kickstarter. On some machines (think Sherco) the cases don't allow this, nor would the frame as there is no relief where the kickstart knuckle would need to swing.

I presume, and others have ventured to guess, that the e-start only on the Sherco is in preparation for fuel injection on their 2t bikes (rumors of this for 2017). Apparently their injection design does not work well with a kick starter and would be essentially useless.

I presume, and others have ventured to guess, that the e-start only on the Sherco is in preparation for fuel injection on their 2t bikes (rumors of this for 2017). Apparently their injection design does not work well with a kick starter and would be essentially useless.

Or the factory could add a 2oz capacitor and keep a kick starter for back up.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If an engine is designed without consideration for a kickstarter, why would it not follow that the frame on the corresponding motorcycle wouldn't allow for the installation of a kickstarter?

Am I missing something? Is there a point otherwise?

If an engine is designed without consideration for a kickstarter, why would it not follow that the frame on the corresponding motorcycle wouldn't allow for the installation of a kickstarter?

Am I missing something? Is there a point otherwise?

The first KTM 4Ts that came without a kicker still had the sweep in the right hand frame downtube to allow for one.

In a symmetric world the left and right downtubes would mirror each other but they often don't for packaging reasons.

I like the concept of the bike, but....no kickstart = no way would i buy one

Should be included with the bike, imo. But here you go.

http://shop.americanbeta.com/p/kickstarter-kit-x-trainer

4e6641c557c23342d5af3ccbad42d037.jpg

Well that's a bit of a game changer. The next shipment of bikes are already sold out over here in oz apparently

Believe the kickstarter was available from the get go, not sure why they didn't have already installed?

Finally got to see one in person, sorry for the blurry pic, my hands start to shake when I am around new bikes. :D

I am considering of picking one for the wife, seems it fits her about perfect, she is coming off a KX100, which was a little small for her.

12036450_10153680083994630_6104377320760079286_n.jpg

How is the suspension for rocks and at speed?

That is a reported issue with the KTM FreeRide.

For what and who it's intended for the XTrainer is brilliant. If you're big/heavy/fast the RR or Race Editions are better choices, at least out of the box.

The cheaper suspension and lack of kickstarter contribute to the roughly $1000 savings versus a base RR.

Steve, I got to do a decent 20-30 minutes on the x-trainer and loved it - so much fun, like a mountain bike that you don't need to pedal!

I never got to try the RR, but was curious to know the difference. As soon as i got back onto my bike i noticed how much more violent/aggressive the power is. I assume the RR is more similar to my 300 than the xtrainer?

my 300 also felt much heavier after the x-trainer, does this also apply to the rr's?

I'm a slowish 50B rider/racer that has probably mid-pack C speed.

I would have to take the ExBeta over rough terrain and whoops and G-outs to see if it has the boingers I need or could be re-valves for the purpose.

It would annoy me to have a Rekluse-equipped E-start only bike have issues on a desert trail in the middle of nowhere, even if the adjustable slave cylinder could be backed out for bump starting.

The X-Trainer isn't as light as I had anticipated via a vis the FreeRide.

The X-Trainer isn't as light as I had anticipated via a vis the FreeRide.

The difference being that the XTrainer is a toned down enduro bike, whereas the Freeride is something completely different.

The best analogy I have heard/seen is this:

Enduro bike --- XTrainer -------------------mid point ---------------------FreeRide ---trials bike

I've got both 300cc Beta enduro and trials bikes, and aside from both having two wheels and handlebars, they are nothing alike.

Back