broken aluminium in carb!

imsimon

this is in my post about my refresh of bike but thought I would also stick it in here to attract more attention and see if similar has happened before
anyway, pulled the carb and found a piece of aluminium has broken off from the "fins" on the air intake side! looking at it I cant see it having a huge affect on performance but my main concern is where the heck is it!

happened to anyone else? Im sure if this happened when riding it would of gone BANG in a big way! ive just put a new piston in so can deffo say its not in the cylinder, Ithink tomorrow I will check the reeds and see if its got that far. it could of been like this and broken off by a previous owner and ive only just seen it! fingers crossed that's the case or I think id rather find it so I know I can get rid of it!

The fins are to divert air to the float bowl.

It was probably broken off by the previous owner.
Does the fracture look like it's fresh?

It did look fresh but I had already sprayed carb cleaner in it before I noticed so I think that helped make it look fresh

ive had the reeds out and no sign of the metal prior to the engine

think im going to carry on as it is and try and pick up a 2nd hand carb when one comes up

Are you sure it was there before and maybe you just noticed it now?

Are you sure it was there before and maybe you just noticed it now?

Thats what I think has happened! This is the only 2nd time ive had it off, also there are some slight scratch marks on the broken fin side and I remember them from the last tike it was out so presume that was caused when it broke, checked reads today and nothing, started it up and it ran fine

thanks for the input but hopefully all is ok!

If it did get ingested I would think you could see shrapnel if you pull the crank drain plug. If it is clean go do some wheelies to celebrate!

Back