Carb icing in UK

pevs

Been riding my 06 ec300 lately (-3 to +3 degrees C) but having major carb icing problems, anyone have same problem or know a good fix?

Been riding my 06 ec300 lately (-3 to +3 degrees C) but having major carb icing problems, anyone have same problem or know a good fix?

most guys around here wrap the carb with a chunk of innertube and zipty it around the carb to keep the snow/ice off of it and to keep it insulated

Thanks guys! :)

No broblem!

By the way. Do you have warm garage for your bike?
If you dont, fill gastank completely full. So condensing water due changing temperature would be formed less.

We here in Finland are too familiar with freesing temperatures :rolleyes:

No broblem!

By the way. Do you have warm garage for your bike?
If you dont, fill gastank completely full. So condensing water due changing temperature would be formed less.

We here in Finland are too familiar with freesing temperatures :rolleyes:

Its more of a cold shed than a warm garage, just found a local filling station that sells Bioethanol (85% ethanol 15% petrol) would this be suitable to stop my carb icing,mixed in my tank at around 2%?

If you are in the Uk then you can get some neat alchohol in the form of Isopropol Alchohol, which you can get from most Horse supply shops, sometimes known as 'rubbing alchohol'.

I ride in wales and the peaks alot and have found the trick with the old innertube to work very well, in the recent weather we have been having, does a good job of insulating it or a piece of 'drysuit' cut up as keeps water and mud from building up and then freezing around the carb.

Its more of a cold shed than a warm garage, just found a local filling station that sells Bioethanol (85% ethanol 15% petrol) would this be suitable to stop my carb icing,mixed in my tank at around 2%?

If you add 2,5% 85% bioethanol mix would be about the same. Is your problem icing inside (jets) or outside carb?

Yesterday we rode about an our. - 12 geg C and about 40cm snow. I couldn't see if my carb was icing outside, because whole engine was covered with ice and snow :) It was still running ok. The only problem was rear brake that got iced if it was not in use... Hmmm. I'll have to take some photos next time.

If you are in the Uk then you can get some neat alchohol in the form of Isopropol Alchohol, which you can get from most Horse supply shops, sometimes known as 'rubbing alchohol'.

I ride in wales and the peaks alot and have found the trick with the old innertube to work very well, in the recent weather we have been having, does a good job of insulating it or a piece of 'drysuit' cut up as keeps water and mud from building up and then freezing around the carb.

Thanks the old inner tube seems a popular trick..

PS.Have a look at the VDSR website ( valley duel sport riders) based in Wales but they have members everywhere

If you add 2,5% 85% bioethanol mix would be about the same. Is your problem icing inside (jets) or outside carb?

Yesterday we rode about an our. - 12 geg C and about 40cm snow. I couldn't see if my carb was icing outside, because whole engine was covered with ice and snow :) It was still running ok. The only problem was rear brake that got iced if it was not in use... Hmmm. I'll have to take some photos next time.

Its icing inside, going to try the mods suggested ,hopefuly will be ok.

Take some photos next time, there are some photos of our rideouts on VDSR website.

Thanks

Isopropal alcohol would probably be the best additive to prevent icing, if my math is correct, 2% of 85/15 and 98% pure petroleum gasoline would give you about 5% total alcohol in the gas . This would be enough to prevent most instances of icing. 10% alcohol( gasohol) is what we have here in the midwest, most Chevys, Toyotas and VWs run just fine, but 2 strokes like a little richer jetting w/10% mix. Years ago Polaris recommended 1 or 2 bigger main jets, 1 size bigger on the pilot and adjusting the needle for snowmobiles running gasohol. If you're riding in colder weather you should be jetted richer anyway.

Isopropal alcohol would probably be the best additive to prevent icing, if my math is correct, 2% of 85/15 and 98% pure petroleum gasoline would give you about 5% total alcohol in the gas . This would be enough to prevent most instances of icing. 10% alcohol( gasohol) is what we have here in the midwest, most Chevys, Toyotas and VWs run just fine, but 2 strokes like a little richer jetting w/10% mix. Years ago Polaris recommended 1 or 2 bigger main jets, 1 size bigger on the pilot and adjusting the needle for snowmobiles running gasohol. If you're riding in colder weather you should be jetted richer anyway.

If the bioethonol fails I`ll try the Isopropal alcohol.

Thanks for the info.

In sweden all gasoline has 15% ethanol, probably to reduce this problem with +/-° shifting a regularly winter (not this winter thou :D ). It is funny to se people still buying little bottles of "carb´de-iceing" for lot´s of money. Yeah sure that 1% extra will keep yoU safe from harm :rolleyes:

Its icing inside, going to try the mods suggested ,hopefuly will be ok.

Take some photos next time, there are some photos of our rideouts on VDSR website.

Thanks

Hi, Im in Wales too...Newport, South Wales...what does carb icing feel like ?? went out yesterday, mine was ok in cold but played up a lot after going through water..would not tick over, felt very choked up and splutery but would clear after a few 5 minutes... air box was clear, not sure if was sucking up water through breather pipes ???

Hi, Im in Wales too...Newport, South Wales...what does carb icing feel like ?? went out yesterday, mine was ok in cold but played up a lot after going through water..would not tick over, felt very choked up and splutery but would clear after a few 5 minutes... air box was clear, not sure if was sucking up water through breather pipes ???

Hi, carb icing feels like the choke is full on all the time its a real pain when it happens, I`v routed my breather pipes into the air box this works well to stop water from entering carb, sounds like that what happened to your bike its a quick and easy fix:)

Hi, carb icing feels like the choke is full on all the time its a real pain when it happens, I`v routed my breather pipes into the air box this works well to stop water from entering carb, sounds like that what happened to your bike its a quick and easy fix:)

All the pipes, or just the ones to the top of the carb ??
:confused:

All the pipes, or just the ones to the top of the carb ??
:confused:

I`v just got the top 2 from the carb going up into airbox, some riders have all there pipes going into it, have had no problems with mine in water.

Whats the riding like in Newport?
Am from Llanelli

Well, no riding today anyhow. The bike was stone dead. Most probably from icing. Last weekend on the mx track it was working perfectly, so I'm doing the carb wrap and extra alcohol ASAP.

Later

Back