Complete yzf front end swap

fullthrottle

Managed to pick up a complete front end off a 2006 yz450f for $250 including wheel brake m/c plastics t/clamps.

Just to confirm if I change the head stem bearings and get a steering stop sorted I can fit the complete front end??

Forks will be revalved and new springs, what spring rate should I look at? Im 70kg no gear.

What is the measurements of the bearing I need?

Where will this leave me in terms of fork/axle offset compared to stock?

Thanks for any help

Posted in my thread where you asked.

Didn't touch on springs though.

I'm using .45mm/kg in my 13' with 3mm preload and 22Nm ICS springs. It's on the firm side for trail riding, but works superbly when ridden aggressively. I'm 75ish without gear, but carry too many tools.

How did you want the bike setup? What spring rates are you using now in the stock forks? I imagine between .42kg/mm to .44kg/mm will probably be the g.o with 20/22Nm ICS spring.

Have read both threads you linked to thanks, my main question is what top bearing to use?

Still got stock springs in the zoke 45s I think 42s?

I want to set it up for an enduro race bike but not as firm a mxer

Last edited:
I seem to remember the all balls website listing the required bearings when converting from GG to yz

Easier setup is to find a second top GG triple clamp and get a pro machinist to enlarge it for you (twowheels did it for me)

I'll find out for you.

Lonetree has done this somewhat recently. I'll see if he has any notes.

Had a look last night and the yz top bearing fit but is thicker that the gg bearing, so sits up too high I will stop past bearing shop tomorow see what they can come up with.

Last edited:
Thanks matt, but went past local bearing shop today and they have found what I need. ^ this will be a good link for future reference. I will post some info here as I go but once bearings are sorted its just steering stop and setup.

How did this all work out? I Just scored a 2008 YZ250F Front end ( Forks. Triples. Front wheel, Brakes and Master Cylinder )

Does the bottom yz bearing just fit right in?

Do you have the bearing number for the top of the steering steem?

Thanks in advance

Alan

How did this all work out? I Just scored a 2008 YZ250F Front end ( Forks. Triples. Front wheel, Brakes and Master Cylinder )

Does the bottom yz bearing just fit right in?

Do you have the bearing number for the top of the steering steem?

Thanks in advance

Alan

Late reply but...
Still in progress been flat out at work and havent touched it for a while

Yes ottom beaing fits just use the bearings from the same bike the triple clamp came off

Back