Cylinder damage

Noobi06

Its me again. I was re---- and fucking hammered the cylinder in. In result, it got some small scratches. You can feel them with your nails, and one is a bit deep. They are about 1mm high and 5mm wide. Its around 3 of them. What do I need to do? Can I still use it? How does it effect the performence and hardware
As Ive bought one more gasgas with its engine apart, I took the cylinder from that one and the piston, but that will in return get the damaged cylinder.
I can send a picture soon if its needed.

Last edited:
Photos will be helpful. If the damage is above the piston it will not matter unless it prevents the head from being fully installed and sealing. If you heat the cylinder and cool the head they should mate together more easily.

This is a family forum so please avoid bad language.

That does not look good. I think that needs to be replated.

Was the piston ring not in the groove or not located properly on the alignment pin while you were inserting the piston into the cylinder and then forced it down?

How do the piston and rings look?

It wasn't located properly in the grove with the little thing and I used a lot of force with hammer, so dumb. Piston has some big wear on its side. Havent seen ring

Like nikasil treatment? That would cost around 300 euros which at that point I think its more worth to just buy a new cylinder from ebay or so.

Yep, nikasil replate is needed.

Remember, a piston should slide in completely by hand. If it won't go in easily then something is wrong and you need to find out what that is before proceeding.

Those are some nasty grooves.

Sent my cylinder for a nikasil replate recently, costed me 220? just for reference. Way cheaper than a new cylinder (europe).

damn I missed up. Well I guessed I learned it the hardway. This was my first ever engine built and im kinda young aswell. In that case I will send the cylinder for nikasil replating when I start building the second gasgas.
Thanks guys for the help!

Back