ec 300 transmission oil

jetfish

Hi guys,

I am going to drop the transmission oil from the ec 300 and wondered what is the best oil to put back in it? Its not been done while i have had the bike and would imagine it will be ready for doing.

Any ideas.

cheers

There has been a lot of discussion on this. Some use ATF, I use the Rotella T which works good, or you can use the expensive stuff at your local dealer.

Hi guys,

I am going to drop the transmission oil from the ec 300 and wondered what is the best oil to put back in it? Its not been done while i have had the bike and would imagine it will be ready for doing.

Any ideas.

cheers

Use a thin oil such as ATF or normal 4T motorbike oil. Be careful with car oils some work, some mess up the clutch action. Unless you know for sure stick to bike oils. Do not use a heavy gearbox oils as they make the clutch drag too much and aren't necessary in such a light application. Some vendors do specific light gearbox oils for 2T bikes.

I agree, it has to be the right oil or the clutch will drag or the gears will be notchy.

I'm using Motul full synthetic 2-t gearbox oil. If I drop the bike and it stalls, I can pick it up an kick with the clutch pulled in and in gear. Gear changes are very smooth and precise. Maxima semi-synth had nice gear action but the clutch dragged a lot. Maybe Maxima full-synth could work too. Shell motorcycle semi- and full synthetic have harsh gear notchiness both in this bike and in my previous Yammies.

Try it out and see what happens. If the cluch starts to slip under a load in high gear, you'll know you have an auto-oil with friction modifiers.

Good luck

Anyone using Mobil's Delvac 10W30 non synthetic diesel engine oil on Gasser?
I've been using Valvoline or motorex, but they aren't selling those at local stores. :mad:

I run the 15w40 Motorcraft diesel oil.
No clutch drag and shifts very smooth.

In the past, I've used the Ford Type F trans fluid with good results.
The Type F fluid has friction additives that help with clutch action.

I have had really good results with the 0w-40 Amsoil 4-stroke oil. Greatly reduced clutch dragging from the Motul I was using.

Wes.

nothing but good results from rotella,since day one,lotsa enduro's,lotsa riding.original clutch plates! I bought my 05' new in january 06'.

I just picked up a couple gallons of rotella and noticed the label is differant from what i have been using {synthetic in blue bottle} the label is yellow, not orange and says t-6 energy effecient. I assume it is still ok to run with wet clutches. Or does that mean they have added friction modifiers? This may have been out for a while, the last time i bought rotella i think i picked up 5 gallons when it was on sale.

Hi,
I am using MOTUL Transoil 10W-30 which is recommended by GasGas. I can start the bike with gear in and just pulling the clutch. I also feel no clutch slipping. Good Oil for not much money.

rotella t full synthetic here. the original owner used it and now I use it. The bike is 2003 de 250 with probably a couple hundred hours on it and it still shifts and clutches smoothly. a little bit of drag when the engine is cold, but goes away after riding for a while.

Rotella is motorcycle rated for wet clutch use. If you look, it will have a JASO-MA rating. Great Stuff... From my experience, syn 5w40 works well.

Jeff

Back