ec 300 transmission oil

I just quit using the Rotella this season. I'm running Amsoil 0W-40 now and love it. I always had a hard time finding neutral with the Rotella, but no issue now with the Amsoil.

For those who cannot get rotella oil most agricultural diesel engine oils work pretty much the same. Just think you need to change it more often

I have used the recommended GRO 10-30 gearbox oil and belray gear saver oil and both work well

What are you guys paying for a gearbox full of oil? So for a litre I guess, I over full so I dont have 100ml of oil sitting around idle.

FYI, I pay 13NZD (10USD) for a 1L of Elf Moto Gearoil 10W-40
Or I can use Elf 4HP eco, 8NZD per L, which is a semi synthetic engine oil that all of the guys who I work with, MR Motorcycles, use in their 2 strokes, and 4 strokes.

I use GRO gear oil and use 900ml. The 1000ml bottle costs about $25 bucks from memory.
Cheers Mark

I just quit using the Rotella this season. I'm running Amsoil 0W-40 now and love it. I always had a hard time finding neutral with the Rotella, but no issue now with the Amsoil.

On that recommendation I'd use Rotella if I could get it here. I have no problem finding neutral and would like to find it less often! ;)

In case other UK riders would like to find neutral as often as I do, I use Putoline Light Gear Oil. Clutch action is good.

On that recommendation I'd use Rotella if I could get it here. I have no problem finding neutral and would like to find it less often! ;)

In case other UK riders would like to find neutral as often as I do, I use Putoline Light Gear Oil. Clutch action is good.

Got a good laugh out of that one,funny thing I hit more false nuetrals than I have in a long time at sundays slimefest/I mean district enduro after ratio riting 900cc of fresh t6 retella in sat.nite??( I think it was the muddy conditions!) Paid $19 for gallon so whats that?-$4.75 an oil change for slick shifting/no clutch squeal/chirping and best part I dont change it as often. I run it about 8-10 hours before draining

I usually use Rotella but I have 2 qts of Hypoid Gear oil 80w90 kicking around.

Does anyone know if I could use this in the gearbox? I would think so but maybe some oil experts on here have an opinion.

Synthetic gear oil designed for a 2T trasmission is the best choice.

Under heavy use oil with no friction modifiers will wear out the clutch. Rotella will break down quickly. In my experience it will smell burn after one ride.

Just a suggestion.

What are you guys paying for a gearbox full of oil? So for a litre I guess, I over full so I dont have 100ml of oil sitting around idle.

FYI, I pay 13NZD (10USD) for a 1L of Elf Moto Gearoil 10W-40
Or I can use Elf 4HP eco, 8NZD per L, which is a semi synthetic engine oil that all of the guys who I work with, MR Motorcycles, use in their 2 strokes, and 4 strokes.

we paying the equivalent of US$13 for a litre of gro racing oil or belray gear saver

I usually use Rotella but I have 2 qts of Hypoid Gear oil 80w90 kicking around.

Does anyone know if I could use this in the gearbox? I would think so but maybe some oil experts on here have an opinion.

I would definately not use hypoid 80/90 gear oil. It is designed for heavy diffs and gearboxes (cars, trucks). It is much too thick for bike gearboxes - your clutch will drag hugely with that stuff.

GRO,no issues.Had to use Rockoil light gear oil in my 02 gasser to get the clutch working right.

Like the Amsoil 0w-40W, I think the Rotella 5W-40W works well for the majority because of the low temperature 5W rating. In a 2 stroke the oil never gets to the temp it was designed for in a diesel (or 4 stroke), so perhaps the viscosity at normal operating temps, that would affect clutch drag, is less than if you were to run a 10W-40W or 15W-40W, especially in moderate climates. The fact that its a synthetic is less of a positive issue because it likely gets fouled with clutch debris and spooge from the PV before it breaks down, but it seems all diesel 5W-40W rated oils are synthetic. It does work great and I still use it. I have also used the standard 15W-40W Rotella and while it worked OK, there was slighly more clutch drag with neutral being harder to find. Not too bad though and I'd use it if I could not get the syn 5W-40W, and if its real hot like in TX with tight woods thrown in it may be perfect for a lot less $$ per L. Mobil 1 5W-40W diesel is also very good. I've had several GG lower ends apart, plus other bikes, and never saw what you would consided an oil related problem, so why waste your $$ on MC gear oils? I think that Rotella is marketed as "Helix" in other countries, correct?

Back