EC300 Revs when cold-started

stevethebrit

Hi guys! I have a 2008 Ec300, 13 hours from new. Have LTR needle and Les' recommended settings. When I get to the track and cold start w/choke the bike it revs up (no, I'm not gassing it). Only for a second (up to like 8k rpm then back down again), like someone gave the throttle a quick twist and release on startup. It's not really a problem, but it's started the last week. The bike runs great and I think the jetting is spot on. Just a bit worried because it didn't do that before, and I've never had a similar problem on any bike. Any guesses what causes it?

My 06 with LTR needle will rev to the moon with the choke on at cold start. I just make sure I've got my hand ready to flip off the choke as soon as it starts. It usually takes a couple minor lifts of the choke again to get it to run without any choke, but then runs flawless.
Its only at the initial startup. After that you can turn the choke on fully but it doesn't need it and doesn't rev as high as the first start.

My 06 with LTR needle will rev to the moon with the choke on at cold start. I just make sure I've got my hand ready to flip off the choke as soon as it starts. It usually takes a couple minor lifts of the choke again to get it to run without any choke, but then runs flawless.
Its only at the initial startup. After that you can turn the choke on fully but it doesn't need it and doesn't rev as high as the first start.

Ditto, but with an 07 Ec 300.... Exactly as above.
Cheers Mark

Also, check to make sure your throttle cable isn't getting pulled.
With the bike running, turn the bars lock to lock and make sure the idle speed doesn't change.

OK, sound like it's supposed yo be that way! Already checked so that the throttle cable isn't getting stuck, which was my first reaction too. I've actually had the needle in a while, but never noticed it before. Although I haven't had the mixture just right until the last few rides. Thanks guys!

idle

I have trouble with reving in the morning with my 200 and i usually hit the kill button little here and there then it starts to idle normal.

Back