First ride on new bike

roostafish

Gold Level Site Supporter
Picked up my new KTM 350 XC-F yesterday. Rode it today for just a short loop. A 10 miler with a mile torture test down a "Carl's Diner" style rock Garden with only a few dirt sections between boulder patches.

I only put gas in and rode it, so just trying to break it in, but I can say that fuel injection is awesome. The linkage rear suspension on the KTM finally fixes the horrible pogo rear end of the PDS system. I didn't even set the sag, just rode it. So far I like it. Very aggressive tuning both engine and suspension and SUPER light feeling. I have no idea what it weighs but it sure feels lighter than my Gas Gas two stroke. It doesn't feel as forgiving as my EC 250, but it will be fun to play onsomething new.

I only put gas in and rode it, so just trying to break it in, but I can say that fuel injection is awesome. The linkage rear suspension on the KTM finally fixes the horrible pogo rear end of the PDS system. I didn't even set the sag, just rode it. So far I like it. Very aggressive tuning both engine and suspension and SUPER light feeling. I have no idea what it weighs but it sure feels lighter than my Gas Gas two stroke. It doesn't feel as forgiving as my EC 250, but it will be fun to play onsomething new.

Yada, yada, orange Kool-aid, blah, blah ;)

Seriously now, I'm all for new bikes, so good for you. KTM is great at filling niches other manufacturers (including GasGas) can't seem to, or are painfully slow to, exploit. And variety is the spice of life. Let us know how you get on with it.

I hope it works out for me too. I really need to change my game this year, so decided to go four stroke and go with an aggressive bike. I nearly went with the SX but the XC is essentially the same with the mods for off-road already done.

This is all about qualifying for the ISDE which seems to be more difficult as I age.

I am a big Gas Gas fan. Been riding them since 1999. It's time to check out something new for a bit. The big experiment.

The proof is in the stopwatch.

And one other comment. I did ask if there were going to be any YamaGassers imported to the U.S. before I decided to give the orange Cool Aide a taste.

My dad has the EXC-F and I can honestly say that if I was interested in a fourstroke, that would be my pick. His has the latest gen of the PDS (not the link) and I think that it along with the entire chassis feels planted, responsive and predictable...I certainly can't say that about some of the older orange bikes.

Get a link skid. You actually rode that thing naked through a boulder field?

I did ride naked. Didn't know what I was getting into. Gguards are on the way. Not too many though. I don't want to add too much weight.
Lots of talk about protecting th e link. Funny, I never even considered it an issue.

Mike if you hit that thing on a rock at speed and it kicks you half off the bike you'll stop trailside and order one with your cell phone trust me! My '12 GG scared the crap out of me a couple times and the KTM is a lot lower. You'll still hit the skid but it will slide off not hook and stop you, and not wreck the shock.

Turns out even with the low frame the older linkage/bell-crank arrangement was pretty decent in the nasties.

Mike if you hit that thing on a rock at speed and it kicks you half off the bike you'll stop trailside and order one with your cell phone trust me! My '12 GG scared the crap out of me a couple times and the KTM is a lot lower. You'll still hit the skid but it will slide off not hook and stop you, and not wreck the shock.

So who makes these linkage skids?

Scorpion Racing, and another I believe. Slavens too but that looks like a rebadged Scorpion part. Yeah, the older linkage was fine in my book, never hit even in the worst terrain, ledge hops, etc. The shock eye on my '12 has a gouge half through from a rock hit. It works OK, but I can't say any better than the old style. What sucks from a service point of view is the bearing in the frame:confused:, rather than all in the rockers. I think the initial leverage is less, based on my preload\sag with a 52Nm spring vs. a 54Nm on the older bike, plus it feels more firm. Its well balanced with the fork though. My guess is thats what the '13 change is all about, 10mm lower and softer initial travel. Thats what longer pull rods get you.

Mike, I know a fast Open A kid who has three pumpkins, two late model PDS 250s and a '12 300XC with linkage. He prefers the linkage.

Moo ... or is it Baaa???

2012 KTM 250xcf-w sitting out in my shed ....
screwed up my back the day after I got it :mad: only have one hour on it.
not much to report ... build quality is solid .... it's FI ...
but still has a bog/dead spot just of idle that bugs me. Hope it goes away or is easily tuned out. has a stubby rear banjo bolt that I'm not sure anyone makes a hydraulic brake switch for ... that will take some snooping. might be able to do a plug and play off the front brake though ... more snooping.

End of the year close out.... $6600 .... but I'm still waiting for the mso, which I'll need to get it plated .... after I figure out how to get a brake light going ... nothing ever goes smoothly ....

What..? You too? Just in time for Halloween.:D Is this replacing the GG? I wish I could be happy with one, it would make things so much easier. 250Fs are fun too, just not a long term bike IMO. Damn '12 GG has been a real PIA at times so far but its absolutely the best handling motorcycle I have ever ridden hands down.

yes ... got a friend interested in the GG. Still only have one hour on this thing. Got the rear brake light figured out, should be able to plate it up next week. Got some enduros and turkey runs coming up. It was a real coin toss on the 4t v.2t thing .... buddy said "your always in a better mood when you get off that kawi ... I'd get the 4t ... and that was that ... still unsure if 4t is the right long term route ... I'll ride it for a year or two and see how it goes. What I really need is a garage stocked with a zook rmz fi 250f set up for the woods, a yammie yz 125 set up for the woods, a new frame husky wr 144, a husky 310, 12 or 13 ktm 200 xcw, the new berg 250f, well maybe I kind of already have that one, and beta 350 and 250f, I think they have a 250f now. guess I should throw in a ktm 350 while I'm at it. Then I could ride each bike at my leisure and figure out which one works the best for me!! Until then I guess I'll have to do it a bike at a time ....

Back