FMF Q on FSE450

McGuiver

Just fitted my FMF pipe and mid-pipe on my 450. It was kind of a bear to get it to fit with out either pointing directly at the turn signal, and or, hitting the rear fender. I ended up making a small hanger to drop it down a little, and still had to turn my signal light upwards just a tad. Pipe is a lot louder than the stock Kreiger unit, but bike pulls harder right though the band. :)

I like the FMFQ also. If anybody finds a way to make it quieter without sacrificing performance I would be the first to try.

So far, everything I've heard has been louder than that NO SPARK ARRESTOR Krieger P.O.S. The FMF Q is not that bad. I'm usually one of the quieter riders compared to the other riders who have aftermarket spark arrestor exhausts which is almost everybody. Flybars, have you tried repacking the silencer? If it's been awhile it could make a noticeable difference.

Quiet is good!

It's true that the "Q" is not that bad, but it certainly could be quieter! The noise issue is not going away, particularly here in the Northeast (USA), as one of my best Lts. told me many years ago "You can get away with a whole lot more if they don't even know you were here!" I am more than a little disappointed that manufacturers like FMF have worked (succesfully) to convince riders that 96db is QUIET, it certainly is not quiet, just a little better than some of the really obnoxious pipes.
Bruce

Metalefty. Good thought on the repack. They might have come with insufficient packing to begin with. It's noticeably louder than my Xr440 with the FMF Q. It has the same diameter end pipe too. Sounds like a repack in the future with the good stuff.

Last edited:
Metalefty: What's the problem with the Krieger pipe? I find it very quiet, which is an important environmental factor in Europe.

Metalefty: What's the problem with the Krieger pipe? I find it very quiet, which is an important environmental factor in Europe.

In the U.S. it needs to have a spark arrestor. I don't know, does Europe need spark arrestors? Other than that it's super quiet. I still have mine with about 100 miles on it. My FMF mid-pipe came in after I picked my bike up and I ran one tank of gas through before replacing it with the FMF.

I see.
No, there is no need for spark arrestors in Sweden at least, likely the same for the rest of the european union.

Even a fresh Q will blow right at 96db. Its not all in the muffler, the CDI mapping plays into it also.

I need to make my FMF Q quieter. I'm doing the Colorado 500 this year and they are serious about riding quiet.

With a freshly repacked muffler I'm right at 96DBa,the max for the 500. That's too close for comfort.

FMF hasn't been able to help. Moto Billet either.

Anybody have any ideas?

Not spark arrestor legal but i could send you a stock Kreiger that is dead quiet for the ride. Call me about it. Cell 775-934-0268 Nick

Any news about a USFS SA end cap for the Kreiger Nick? I like the exhaust as it is (quiet) but I am mindful of the problems I am likely to get in some areas as we move west

It wont be for the Kreiger but for the GG muffler on 07-08 and possibly 06. I have a benefit ride next saturday and after that i can take a muffler to Idaho for them to work from.

I have to have a spark arrestor, most of the riding on the 500 is on national forest land.

I emailed some other manufacturers but no luck.

I have a 2005 Gas Gas 450 FSE that I'm preparing for the Colorado 500 off-road ride. The stock FMF Q is much too loud even with fresh packing.

I need a slip-on that will register under 96DBa, preferably even quieter . FMF isn't able to help.

Do you have anything that might fit? I can send the FMF slip-on to you to check for possible fitment.

Sincerely,

Sander Avant

Responses:

I am sorry to say that we do not offer an exhaust system for your bike.
Best regards! Mit freundlichen Grüssen!Meilleures salutations!
Migliori saluti! Met vriendelijke Groeten! Mejor saludos!
Pro Circuit Racing International

Sorry, we don’t offer anything for the Gas Gas bikes. We just different slip-joints and measurements and the chance of something bolting up is slim.
LeoVince USA

Unfortunately we do not make anything for that specific application. I apologize for the inconvenience. Thanks for your interest in Yoshimura!
Yoshimura Sales

Last edited:
I made a crude modification to the insert and seems quieter. Once I test it with a DB meter I'll post the results.

insert.jpg

Even with that big ole washer I'm still right at 96DBa. It seems to be running leaner with obstruction.

I do know that when I ran the bike on the leaner map with the muffler in the stock configuration it was louder.

Quiet insert?

That is discouraging! I just got a(nother) "turn down, quiet, SA end cap from FMF. Having looked at my existing one with the big hole through the center I figured it was either the wrong insert or modified - Wrong, the new one is just the same. How can you have that big of an outlet and still call it a Spark Arrestor? My next step was goin to be to restrict it more like in the above picture but it sounds as though that isn't going to help much.
I see that Pro Moto has an end cap and insert but I think that it is for the Kreiger, anyone know what size, model, part number or other way of identifying the FMF "Q" is that most of us ended up with? Mine came from the dealer with it, don't believe he changed it though. I was going to contact Pro Moto to see if they have anything to help the "Q" but figure that I might need more information to give them. Tried FMF but haven't heard back.
Bruce

Back