FMF Q Stealth

rzide

I have the fmf q stealth that came on my bike. Does it have a removable spark arrestor? I would like to inspect it to clean it and possibly run without it for days when I can only get to a track. I didn't want to undo all the bolts as if i was to repack it so I figured ask first.

The spark arrestor is a "Krizman bullet" type. It makes the exhaust swirl into the rear cap of the muffler. It is not easily removable and the passageways are large enough that it would take a long time to foul.

About the only worthwhile change would be removing the rear end cap and shortening the tube weld into the cap. This long tube projects into the back of the "bullet" and creates a significant flow reversal. With the tube shortened the Q Stealth should function well in terms of flow.

Some people who don't like the bulk of the Q Stealth have shortened the body to make it more compact. I don't know if any of those folks also reduced the rear tube length or removed the "bullet".

Pretty simple project.
eteqadu7.jpg

Thanks!
Seems like a very similar sound. I cleaned it out for the first time in 150+ hours and I have to say it is not a spooge trap.

Thanks!
Seems like a very similar sound. I cleaned it out for the first time in 150+ hours and I have to say it is not a spooge trap.

I shortened mine about 4 inches. Still a similar sound. No spooge ( I never really did have an issue). I have about 800 miles on it. a big reason I did it was I can actually use the excellent rear sub frame grab rail to lift the bike. I think FMF may have a real great product on their hands "Shorty Stealth Q". I like my modified Stealth way better than my turbine core 2 on my other bike.

Yes, I cut the end off the outer portion and measured where the holes were supposed to be. Then drilled new holes and riveted the inners. I cut the inner perforated portion and shaped it to fit the shorter length. I should have taken photos...

I used clear rtv to seal the cap otherwise it did leak originally. IMHO turbine core II < stealth < stealth shorty

I mainly didn't want a lever on the subframe is my only reason for shortening it. Also I thought I should see how tough it was to do. Turned out well for an easy mod. Getting proper rivets is probably the only thing I would have changed. I used "glass-stop" rivets and should have used a more standard style rivet to seal the hole, but rtv filled the holes with ease.

Check this one out fellas....
I put a big bang mark in my can so I cut the bad out. I wasn't very happy with it before so I wasn't too scared to chop it up/almost in half.
I did it as a bit of a joke but I have been happy with it. Still quieter than a normal 2 stroke mx bike and much less drool.

Attachments

• IMG_3156.jpg
    IMG_3156.jpg
    122.8 KB · Views: 126
I put a big bang mark in my can so I cut the bad out. I wasn't very happy with it before so I wasn't too scared to chop it up/almost in half.
I did it as a bit of a joke but I haven't been happy with it. Still quieter than a normal 2 stroke mx bike and much less drool.
Since this pic I changed the angle of it so it doesn't look QUITE as goofy.

I really want to do this to my can, but absolutely don't have the mechanical ability or tools to accomplish it. Is there any special instructions I should tell an exhaust shop to use if I take it to one? I love the Half look. I like good sound but don't want to be loud and I feel this is my best option.

Thanks, For all the info, working on putting my unibiker rad guards and n3cj needle in as we speak, needed a forum break and a couple beers. Sure do love this bike

Does any have an accurate weight of a new FMF Q Stealth for the GG? New, not used. I'm just gathering data...Thanks!

Eric

I really want to do this to my can, but absolutely don't have the mechanical ability or tools to accomplish it. Is there any special instructions I should tell an exhaust shop to use if I take it to one? I love the Half look. I like good sound but don't want to be loud and I feel this is my best option.

Thanks, For all the info, working on putting my unibiker rad guards and n3cj needle in as we speak, needed a forum break and a couple beers. Sure do love this bike

If you take it to an exhaust shop, they will be able to figure it out. Simple job.

I did it as a bit of a joke but I have been happy with it. Still quieter than a normal 2 stroke mx bike and much less drool.

I don't know what made me think of this, but FMF should make beer mugs with left over materials.

Sent from my QMV7A using Tapatalk

I don't know what made me think of this, but FMF should make beer mugs with left over materials.

Sent from my QMV7A using Tapatalk

Bahaha! Thats a great idea! I was trying to be practical and cap of what was left of mine and mount it on the other side as a small tool container. That's what a backpack is for! Beer me!

Back