FSE450 overheating question

GregM

One concern I have with any 450 is the tendency to run hot. One good way to encourage a carbureted bike to overheat is to jet it too lean. I wonder if an EFI bike is less prone to this as they always get the proper fuel/air mixture?

I am curious to what some of the FSE450 owners have to say about this?

Greg

One concern I have with any 450 is the tendency to run hot. One good way to encourage a carbureted bike to overheat is to jet it too lean. I wonder if an EFI bike is less prone to this as they always get the proper fuel/air mixture?

I am curious to what some of the FSE450 owners have to say about this?

Greg

Seems like you answered your own question. If EFI always has a proper fuel/air mixture then how could it run lean at all? One thing I like about my '05GG450 is the radiator fan, when running slow technical terrain I can feel hot air blowing on my leg and I like that because I know it's being dissipated from the engine. I just bought a pack of those sticker thermometers to attach to your cylinder, when I start riding in the spring I'm curious as to what the temps will be in the same slow technical areas.

Have you disconnected the efi map selector cable under the tank?

Stock the FSE is on a very lean map, making it run hot.

On my '05 FSE, it was the yellow and blue wire. Very simple and my bike really woke up and no more overheating. Bob

Is it one wire that is yellow and blue?

Is it one wire that is yellow and blue? Or is it a yellow and a blue wire (2 wires).

If so, is it the wires that go into that white plug?

Not sure about any white plug, but there are two cables screwed into the EFI casing under the tank rear end. Disconnect the one cable which is yellow AND blue. There is a connector you can separate.

That is correct. I then wrapped the ends with elect. tape. U need to do this for it to run cool and much better all around performance. U can also look them up on the wiring schematics and find where the yellow and blue wire is.

04 Fse 450

Ok guys heres a question. I have noticed alot of people talking about how they are disconnecting and connecting these wires.

What is this all about?

My 04 FSE 450 (1300 miles with FMF pipe) has started to pop during decel and after giving it a good rev, it will pop right when I let off in the height of the rev. This makes me assume that it is running lean (and maybe hot, but i can tell)

Like I said I want to make sure that I dont run it lean and screw something up, overheat it, etc.

I want to know about this wiring stuff. If somebody knows, please fill me in. I want to know if this will solve my bikes popping (assuming that it is running lean)

Hope to hear from somebody soon.

Thanks!

The '04 fse does not have the yellow/blue wire disconnect remedy. '05 only. Someone else with an '04 fse should be able to help U on running lean? Good luck.

I have an 07' fse 450 that I use for the tight technical stuff and have problems with over heating.has anyone tried mounting a small fan on one? any suggestions would be great!
I noticed my "black" muffler is now more goldish colour,wonder if this is from overheating or just a natural fading? also my oil light flickers on and off at idle?
cheers
James

I have an 07' fse 450 that I use for the tight technical stuff and have problems with over heating.has anyone tried mounting a small fan on one? any suggestions would be great!
I noticed my "black" muffler is now more goldish colour,wonder if this is from overheating or just a natural fading? also my oil light flickers on and off at idle?
cheers
James

James, I had the oil light problem like you..
It was fixed on warrenty. Something about the clutch cover??

Mine also overheats on tight single track and slow muddy uphill climbs.

PM JRDoz he has added a 06 fan to his 07 if I remember right.

I will eventually get around to it.

Gav.

cheers
James

PM JRDoz he has added a 06 fan to his 07 if I remember right.

Hey all, the fan I fitted is a genuine part available for the 07 models. It came with a relay and harness plug as well... I don't have the part numbers sorry. I did have to mod the fan slightly as I run Force Radiator guards, nothing serious though. Pretty easy stuff.

Oh and the muffler does fade...

I know this is an old thread, but can some one help me with my 06 450 FSE overheating.

When I bought the bike it had a busted cooling fan and some banged up radiators but it didnt seem to matter because it never boiled anyway. I rode the bike like this for 18 Months. In the last 6 months it has started over heating. First thing i did was get the radiators repaired all straightened out and bent back into shape. The radiator shop did a great job and they looked brand new again. I didnt want to bang the radiators up again so I installed some force radiators guards. THe bike kept overheating so I decided i better sort the fan out. I ended up buying a Spal 4" Pull Fan through ebay. The fan mounted very easily with zip ties on to the exisintg oem fan shrowd. I found out the flow rate of each fan to compare and they are almost exactly the same (OEM - Comex is 150 CFM - the SPAL fan is 147 CFM). The spal fan is the same as the stock KTM fan. THe wiring is exactly the same and it has the same plugs as the OEM Gas Gas fan. Also it was a lot cheaper than the oem fan.

So over the weekend i go riding and it is still boiling. I can hear the fan running a lot.

Anyway does anyone know what i can do to make the bike run a bit cooler????? Are there any simple wires on an 06 FSE I can unplug. I assume the Force radiator guards reduce airflow over the radiators but to what extent im not sure. Im pretty sure it wouldnt be the issue otherwise they wouldnt be as popular as they are.

This is the only grief i have had with the bike other than this overheating issue this bike has been super reliable.

Last edited:
THis is the bikes secoond radiator fan. I know the bikes previous owner replaced it. Also i know the radiator crowd pressure tested the radiator i assume this means testing to a pressure to confirm the radiator cap is functioning.

I have been researching the water pump. It sounds like the logical solution. Does the 06 450 have a plastic impeller. I have read that the plastic impellers wear out.

Also do I just need to take off the pump housing to replace the impeller? I have read about people having a lot trouble with the seals between the water and engine. If i am only changing the impeller do i only need to replace the seals as well, or is it simple job of draining the coolant, taking of the housing replacing the the impeller reasembling the pump housing???

Last edited:
The '06 has an aluminium impeller, but check it anyway. To replace, just pop the lid and change it. You might need to replace the gasket.
Pressure testing a coolant system normally means putting the system under some pressure to find leaks, not checking the release pressure of the radiator cap.
Are you absolutely sure that the radiator cap is fully seated? A badly seated cap will not hold the pressure.

Back