Fuel filter

Buysomerice

Gold Level Site Supporter
Just putting this out there for a fyi. Was experiencing some bogging on the last cool ride. Long story short, seems my in-line fuel filter was chocking the fuel supply. Makes sense, it was only over a year old! �� Swap out those filters! ...or don't run one, which is the route I'm tring out.

Yeah, just had the same problem at the enduro today.
Good practice to change them out sooner.

interesting this post came up. I was removing my shock last night and a slight tug on my fuel line snapped the fuel filter, luckily this happened in the workshop rather than the bush!

I don't think i will replace it, i figure the sieves in the tank should do a good enough job

If you've had enough crap end up in the filter after a year, what do you expect to happen in the next year?? It'll either end up in the carb or the engine.. easier to replace filters I think..

If you've had enough crap end up in the filter after a year, what do you expect to happen in the next year?? It'll either end up in the carb or the engine.. easier to replace filters I think..
true, but the thing is that my fuel filter looks pretty clean! i was using the visufilter

http://www.itw-fastex-cva.com/images/stories/data-shts/visufilter/8423-00-9909.PDF

I think better fuel adding parctices are possibly better than a filter - making sure that you never pour in the dregs of your fuel can after mixing, letting it stand a while after mixing, and ensuring your funnel is clean

Same as mine Matt (except I use a straight one instead of L shape). Ime I agree with you, best to try and keep clean fuel going in, however when I refill at some remote-ish servos' its hard to know just how good that fuel is coming out the line.

I haven't had one bloke up on the Gasser yet, but can see how they could get a bit brittle with time.. Then again, so does the fuel line itself.

im always careful of the wind when im mixing and refilling as a gust can whip fine dust into your tank,gascan,or oil measure pretty quick and its the finest grit that will make it through to engine.flexi spouts left outside of gascans make great dust traps too.gravity fed systems aren't so bad as the filter will just block and starve engine,annoying but not critical IMO.with pressurized fuel though as the filter blocks the same volume of fuel gets forced through a ever decreasing space,raising press on filter medium,which in extreme cases can begin to fail and then crud gets forced down the line...not great for injection systems
higher quality filters will take much finer contaminants out,the catch is they clog faster.if its blocking once a year its doin a good job and proves its worth.if it stayed clean for years it would prove its uselessness!

Mine started leaking pretty bad during a ride out in the middle of the woods last fall, was less than a year old. Made it back to the truck. No filter since, I'd rather take my chances without one. If all I rode was desert, then maybe it would be a different story.

Just had a proper look at the broken filter and I take back all I said. My high-and-mighty sermon about proper mixing of fuel etc.
I will post some pics tomorrow from my laptop - there is a sandpit in there!!

Just a quick fix on the trail, I always have a fuel cap vent hose long enough to replace fuel line/fuel filter. Easy cure for a cut line or leaking/plugged filter.

....If all I rode was desert, then maybe it would be a different story.

unsure what this means.
I would rather get stuck in the woods somewhere that the desert.
fwiw the desert is so varied and vast that it boggles the mind

I think those vent check valve assemblies on the tank are a real problem.

unsure what this means.
I would rather get stuck in the woods somewhere that the desert.
fwiw the desert is so varied and vast that it boggles the mind

I think those vent check valve assemblies on the tank are a real problem.

It means if I rode a lot of sand, then I'd run a fuel filter.

It means if I rode a lot of sand, then I'd run a fuel filter.

Why just sand?

I don't know how stuff gets in the fuel tank. In an ideal world it shouldn't.. but the fuel gets transported here to there and sits in tanks in various places and then through an old pump at old mates servo.. possibly into an old jerry can.. and then into the bike.

Who cares about sand? I'm more concerned about the sediment and impurities from above that sneak past. At home I fill through a filtered funnel, but I don't always fill up at home.

IMO, the chance of things getting past the tank exceed the chance of a filter failing.. and if it's a concern, its nothing that a length of fuel line in the backpack can't fix.

Sheesh. You guys sure are paranoid. :D

When I ride the sand track, I get sand EVERYWHERE. I literally have sand on my kitchen counter that is from that track. When I stick to the woods, my kitchen is clean. Makes perfect sense. Ha!

I'll wait until I have a carb issue before going back to a fuel filter.

Sheesh. You guys sure are paranoid. :D

When I ride the sand track, I get sand EVERYWHERE. I literally have sand on my kitchen counter that is from that track. When I stick to the woods, my kitchen is clean. Makes perfect sense. Ha!

I'll wait until I have a carb issue before going back to a fuel filter.
I don't ride desert
But remember what doesn't get stuck in the carb makes it into your engine and will accelerate wear

Back