fuel usage question

Krisden

I know there are a few threads on this but they are more aimed at other year bikes
I'm new to GasGas bikes just swapped over to a euro 2010 300 from a wr450
and the fuel usage is a problem, on mixed tracks i'm getting 120km (75 miles) from 12 liters (3.2 Gallons)
What im asking, is that normal of can i improve my range ?
It has standard gearing (a 47 rear would help ?)
I try to lug it but band is so much fun :D
Does the 2010 euro have the older carb or the new one and if so it the float setting 6.5 mm ?
I know that lots of questions but ive read almost every post and haven't got an answer that made sense

cheers
Kris

I guess it depends how you ride but that is pretty good economy out of a tank imo. I get about 90km to a tank in mixed and 80 in tight singles.

IMO its poor fuel economy! 10KM/L..

The carb is the newer PWK ASII (I think all the Euros got 38mm bodies). For setting the float easier then measuring is to just lay it over and have them a little off level. I think measurement wise mine is at around 7-7.5mm.

I know lots of people running 42 N3EJ#3 178 get somewhere between 70-90km per tank so if you're running those jetting specs you're getting about the same as everyone else.

FWW I also find lugging the engine (open throttle, low revs) tends to drink just as much fuel as it does to keep the engine singing.

See this thread with video of my Euro running in the wet last week. It took 6L of fuel to top up at the 70km mark. Not the best economy I've had but works out to be 110km from the 9.5L tank.
http://www.gasgasrider.org/forum/showthread.php?t=11529

Leaning out your jetting will improve your fuel economy. The question is how lean can you safely go without losing power or causing damage. I find even half a clip pos change makes a noticable difference to fuel usage.

Thought I'd just throw in that I'm running 13-50 gearing aswell.

Where abouts are you located and what jetting are you currently running? Do you feel there is improvement to be made to power delivery as well as fuel? Any spooge from the exhaust?

the bike runs clean and crisp but its leaks at 35Deg so im guessing the float is alittle out and im dumping fuel on the bumps.
I was riding in mainly hilly country with lots of roots ,rocks and open throttle hill climbs.
I might pull the carb off and look at the jetting i bourt the bike second hand with 1500 km on it.
Ive had to set up the bars and suspension as all the sag was out so im guessing the jetting will be the same or im just heavy handed :confused:

Sounds like the flat could do with a little adjustment. Might improve things a bit. It really wouldn't hurt to check and see what jetting you are running in there at the moment either.

FWW when my bike was delivered with the stock N1EF in the top clip pos with a 42P and 175 main I would hit reserve at 80kms and that was after putting an extra L into the tank.

Getting more technical you could look at measuring your squish and having some head work done to gain some added oomph and improve fuel efficiency.

1L/10km is the same here, i think we all have pretty much the same.
don't forget ,it's a 2T,not a 4T like your WR450 ;)

hannes.

the bike runs clean and crisp but its leaks at 35Deg so im guessing the float is a little out and im dumping fuel on the bumps.

Checking the float height is a good place to start. On my 10/EC 300 the float was way out. You should notice an improvement once adjusted.
Let us know what you find.

Same problem here. My float is 10mm and gas keep going away.

Watching this video I can see where most your fuel is going..
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8Is2Gih9OC0&feature=colike
Every time you open the throttle its puffing smoke like a chimney. This could also be a result of a high float level.

This one http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w44cOV46LPY&feature=youtu.be sounds a bit rich on the bottom end. Sounds alot like the stock needle to be honest. Sounds exactly like my bike did when I was using 10.5L to do 80kms.

2010 300

I have a 2010 300. After adjusting float level I get about 75 miles to a tank

I have a 2010 300. After adjusting float level I get about 75 miles to a tank

Now back it up with your jetting specs Husley :p 38/40 N3CH#2 175/178 I'm guessing. Puts you right around where I am but in jetting and fuel consumption.

The bike doesn't smoke unless its cold so i will check the jetting and readjust the float before touching the jetting
Sounds like it time to rip the carb out anyways and have a play ,7mm float height?
its been 6 years since i owned a 2t it beat the hell out of me last ride in the rocks

That number was a bit of a stab in the dark from memory. Like I said you want the floats to be just off level. I actually hook mine up to the fuel tank when testing with the bowl off so I can modulate with my hand and see when the fuel starts flowing.

Depending on your size and what the previous owner has done the stock forks are firm firm firm but track well. I reduced the oil level (increased air gap) and then managed to get them working well with the clickers. I'm 75kg without gear.

Watching this video I can see where most your fuel is going..
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8Is2Gih9OC0&feature=colike
Every time you open the throttle its puffing smoke like a chimney. This could also be a result of a high float level.

This one http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w44cOV46LPY&feature=youtu.be sounds a bit rich on the bottom end. Sounds alot like the stock needle to be honest. Sounds exactly like my bike did when I was using 10.5L to do 80kms.

Jacobi,
in first video, i belibe the smoke is due too much time in idle.
But in second vid you had a good point. I will order new needle to test.

Bike year & model = 2011 EC250
Brasilian gasoline with 25% ethanol
Carb = Keihin PWK 38 AL1 0ALS
Temperature (degF) = 68-104F (20-40C)
Elevation (feet) =2600 (800m)
Main jet = 172
Pilot jet =42
Needle & notch = NIEF 4? from top
Air screw setting = 0,5 turn from full closed

What needle do you sujest?

Thanks.

Last edited:
Jacobi,

Main jet = 172
Pilot jet =42

Thanks.

I'm suprised it even runs with that needle in that position. Sounds mighty mighty rich. My conditions are very similar (you have a bit more alititude even). The 250s and the 300s appear to be very similar to jet also. Generally the 300s require slightly leaner jetting as they pull more fuel through under vaccuum.

When my bike was delivered it had 42 N1EF#1 175 main and sounded and smoked just like yours is. It would load up and run rough on the bottom in single track requiring to be cleaned out all the time and fuel consumpton was horrible. The idle adjuster was screwed in to the stops just about to maintain an idle.

MJC has a 2011 EC250 and his recommendation is 40 NEDW#3 172. It will clean up your bottom end considerably, however some feel that the smoothness is err.. too smooth! Alternatively the Yamaha/KTM needles N3EW will provide more of a midrange hit and require a size or 2 lager main.

Both needles offer half clip adjustments. NECW and N3CW respectively. I'd suggest starting in middle clip adjusting as neccessary. I run my EC300 at 40 N3CH#2 172/175 at the 300M elevation, 30C, 70-100% RH. I wouldn't be surprised if you end up around the same.

Jacobi,

Main jet = 172
Pilot jet =42

Thanks.

I'm suprised it even runs with that needle in that position. Sounds mighty mighty rich. My conditions are very similar (you have a bit more alititude even). The 250s and the 300s appear to be very similar to jet also. Generally the 300s require slightly leaner jetting as they pull more fuel through under vaccuum.

When my bike was delivered it had 42 N1EF#1 175 main and sounded and smoked just like yours is. It would load up and run rough on the bottom in single track requiring to be cleaned out all the time and fuel consumpton was horrible. The idle adjuster was screwed in to the stops just about to maintain an idle.

MJC has a 2011 EC250 and his recommendation is 40 NEDW#3 172. It will clean up your bottom end considerably, however some feel that the smoothness is err.. too smooth! Alternatively the Yamaha/KTM needles N3EW will provide more of a midrange hit and require a size or 2 lager main.

Both needles offer half clip adjustments. NECW and N3CW respectively. I'd suggest starting in middle clip adjusting as neccessary. I run my EC300 at 40 N3CH#2 172/175 at the 300M elevation, 30C, 70-100% RH. I wouldn't be surprised if you end up around the same.

The pertinent part may have been "Brasilian gasoline w 25% ethanol". Don't you end up running much larger/richer jets with that type of blend?

The pertinent part may have been "Brasilian gasoline w 25% ethanol". Don't you end up running much larger/richer jets with that type of blend?

With that much ethanol you would think his jetting would have to be fatter than our USA 10% ethanol fuel based jetting. On the bright side I bet he never has to worry about over heating the bike.

My bad..

That explains why he can get away with running the needle in the clip pos that it is. I still think that there is definately room for improvement with the other needles though, but that is just my opinion.

Back