Getting On The Gas

There is a place near Winchester called Cumberland Mountain Riding Association (CMRA) that has two 20+ mile loops and one 30+ mile loop. Then the NATRA property is near Lawrenceburg, TN. Let me know when you are in the area and we can go to one or both of them.
If you guys hook up give me a call and I'll meet you either place. - Ken

There is a place near Winchester called Cumberland Mountain Riding Association (CMRA) that has two 20+ mile loops and one 30+ mile loop. Then the NATRA property is near Lawrenceburg, TN. Let me know when you are in the area and we can go to one or both of them.

LOL just looked it up (CMRA)...yep that is the brother of the lady my mother knows that lives down the street. I've ridden Horse Back on her part which is also 17,000 acres...the sister has another 17,000 across the street...LOL It was left to them by an Uncle if I recall...LOL they each got an equal portion.

My parents had a house on Tims Ford Lake but build one on land they owned. That road 16 is sweet for street bikes I used to hit triple digits in my younger days on it.

I'll have to see if my mother still is friends with the lady. Might have a lot of options. I'll let you know later this summer Clay on my plans. (Not sure if she did or not I know the sister was looking to sell her 17,000 acres because they were trying to talk my mother in buying it...LOL).

Funny how its a small world....

I thought I would post a follow up to my GasGas inquiry.

After some consideration and taking into account that I already have a bunch of very nice KTM enduro bikes I decided to get a trials bike. I did a bunch of research and came to the conclusion that it was either going to be a GG or an Ossa. I've been very keen on the Ossa since it was introduced a couple of years ago but feel that while they offer a huge leap ahead into what trials bike and hopefully all dirtbikes will be in the future they are still new to the game. Not counting many years ago when they were a player. The bike is still great and I found a good deal on one that would be updated to almost all the 2013 specs but I think it will be an even better bike in a couple of years.

So that left GasGas as the only real choice as far as I see it so it was up to what model. The Econ is a great buy and if I was on a budget I'd go for one for sure but with each step up in price you get quite a bit more trick stuff with the biggest advantage landing on the top line Raga. Knowing how I am I knew that if I bought a lesser one I would always be wishing I had gone for gold. So in the end for $800 more than the race, which would only cover a fraction of what it would cost to buy all the upgrades, I bought a 2T 280 Raga. I sent off the check yesterday and it should be hitting my area code sometime in the next couple of weeks. It's new skill-set to learn but will improve my offroad abilities I'm sure. Most all of the top enduro winners come from a trials background. Also with a trails bike I can join a local trials riding area that has good XC trails too so that is a plus.

In a couple of years if I'm loving trials I might give an Ossa a shot and also will probably eventually get a GG enduro.

Fuel Oil Ratio

I've read countless threads on the general idea of what ratio to use in KTM 2Ts and it is all over the board from 16:1 up to 100:1 with each proponent offering an argument as to why theirs works best. It seems like all report good longevity. I lean more toward recommendations from those who rebuild motors for a living and also like the idea that not all size engines require the same ratios. Smaller higher rpm needs more oil. One guy worked on a race engine team 20 years ago and did extensive testing and came to the conclusion that more oil equaled more power in their engines.

I ended up at 40:1 Motorex and run it in 144s to 300s. Ktm says 40:1 or 50:1 most places and even 60:1 sometimes.

I asked the dealer if it would be ok to run 40:1 in the Raga. He said absolutely not. Run 80:1. Looking at the GG website under specifications it clearly says to run 50:1. This guy has been into GG for many years and rebuilds engines. I went out and bought a second fuel container and plan on going with his advice. Still I wonder why GG recommends 50:1 on their website? 50 to 80 is quite a spread.

Maybe it's just par for the course with data and specifications from European manufacturers. KTM puts out false printed info on a regular basis.

Last edited:
Trials bikes are different, tighter internal clearances, and low RPM use, sometimes indoors. 80 to 100 : 1 is the spec and its fine. 50:1 is GGs spec for the ECs. I prefer a little more oil (36:1) for good ring sealing and longevity. I do my own motors and they come apart looking great. Its true, more oil does equal more power as long as jetting is corrected for it. Ring sealing is the reason.

Back