Going high-suggestions on adjustment?

husley

Bronze Level Site Supporter
Jetted for 4000'. Going up to 10,000... adjustment?

2010 300

38P
N3CH #2

The above set up works well for me 4000-7000' 60'f-85'f

Question: will be riding beginning at 4000' and up to 10,000. Most of this upcoming ride should be around 8000' and 70'F

Lean it out a bit or leave it?

Thanks

Last edited:
I wouldn't bother changing it prior to going. I would however pack an N3EH and a 170/172 main in the toolkit. If you find it starting to break up you can always ue the EH to go half a clip leaner, or CH to move a full clip leaner. Its a 2min job on the 2010/2011 models which means you can do it while you wait for your mate to take a slash. The other thing is that generally with the alititude, the temp drops so you can often get away with roughly the same same up to a point.

?

Any idea how much (if even tangible) fuel I would save by going one clip and one main leaner?

Fuel may be an issue on this upcoming ride

Any idea how much (if even tangible) fuel I would save by going one clip and one main leaner?

Fuel may be an issue on this upcoming ride

Very hard to judge. Much more involved in fuel consumption than just needle clip. For me I found maybe an extra 10kms. Gearing the bike a bit taller and staying off the pipe might save you some fuel too.

I did 90kms without hitting reserve on my 250 with 1.25mm squish using 45 N3CJ#3 178.

Carry a few liters in the back pack :)

Jetting Chart

I have the same question, i was riding this summer around 9000 feet, 80plus temps and my gasser did not run well, no power off the bottom.
ec300 2009 38 carb

NEDJ 172 40pj

I looked at the chart in the gasgas manual, i says go 162-165.

i changed to JD red needle 3rd clip, 162, 38 pilot. not tried yet. hoping its not to lean, aside from the needle that is what the manual says. i will also take richer jets along just in case.

any input.

I have the same question, i was riding this summer around 9000 feet, 80plus temps and my gasser did not run well, no power off the bottom.
ec300 2009 38 carb

NEDJ 172 40pj

I looked at the chart in the gasgas manual, i says go 162-165.

i changed to JD red needle 3rd clip, 162, 38 pilot. not tried yet. hoping its not to lean, aside from the needle that is what the manual says. i will also take richer jets along just in case.

any input.

The NEDJ needle runs very much about the same clip position and main as the stock GG needle I have found. Its just cleaner off the bottom and fills in the lean midrange. The main is same same. 175 safe for sealevel. You can either drop the main down to a 168/165 and maybe try a half clip leaner.

JAKOBI,

So you recommend going back to the NEDJ (which i like very much on your recommend) and go 165-168 and leaner on the clip position. What do you think of the jetting chart in the manual, where you multiple 180x.94 or whatever?

dan

Hi Dan,

I have hardly any knowledge about elevation changes as I always ride between 300-1000M here. I do know if the existing jetting was working for you and you liked it, then the best option is to just work with it to dial it in for the changes. Raises in temp, altitude, and humidity all require leaner jetting. If any of these have gone up then odds are the bike is running slightly richer and thus has lost some of its crispness and is just feeling a bit fluffy.

If its just off idle that you're feeling it then an extra turn out on the air screw may please you. If you end up past 2.5 turns consider a smaller pilot. If its more around 1/8th throttle, consider a smaller needle diameter. If its 1/4 to 1/2 throttle, a clip position change, and finally in the upper, a main. Remember that all the circuits overlap to a certain extent, and dropping several mains will also lean the jetting from bottom to top. It will just have a more profound effect 3/4-WOT. This is why its essential to make one change at a time and observe/experience the effect it has as a whole.

I'm not saying you can't make the JD Red work as good or even better either. It'll be the same process. Just helps that JD gives guidelines. I'd personally use the GG table to select the main as the third taper on the NEDx needle is very similar to the N1Ex.

At 9,000 feet at 85F in Flagstaff, Arizona, I and my 2005 DE250 went (I had to or it would burble) 162/38 prior to the RB squish and carb mod. I could (but didn't) go as rich as 172/42 afterward. Usually 168/38.

Back