Hatfield McCoy, WV, 4/10/13-4/14/13

Front Royalty

Hatfield McCoy, WV, 5/8/13-5/12/13

Bunch of riders and I are headed down for a long weekend. Most likely headed to Buffalo Mountain. Date are tentative. Let's get a head count!

Last edited:
I work over in that area. I think the buffalo mountain access is blocked due to mining in that area. May want to call before you go.

Where you staying? Been there before?

http://www.hatfieldmccoyinn.com/
The 10 rolling with me are staying here (Don McCoys place) and about 20 more have the 3 units at Split Pine rented out.
Have ridden Buffalo Mountain a few times, IMHO the best and most single track so when taking new guys down to check it out I always go to Buffalo Mountain first.
Also nice having 3 trail heads all with gas and food close by.
If you have never ridden there before and you plan to ride trail #199 I advise you ride from the south to the north...feeling froggy try the other direction.
I see you are in Front Royal..do you ride Moto Cove much?

http://www.hatfieldmccoyinn.com/
The 10 rolling with me are staying here (Don McCoys place) and about 20 more have the 3 units at Split Pine rented out.
Have ridden Buffalo Mountain a few times, IMHO the best and most single track so when taking new guys down to check it out I always go to Buffalo Mountain first.
Also nice having 3 trail heads all with gas and food close by.
If you have never ridden there before and you plan to ride trail #199 I advise you ride from the south to the north...feeling froggy try the other direction.
I see you are in Front Royal..do you ride Moto Cove much?

Ive done Buffalo Mtn once about 4 mos ago. Ive rode the Cove once also, on a YZ250 F that wasnt setup for trails. Id like to return on my 300.

Buffalo mtn. is great time. Its a beautiful view of the mountains, when your on top. Plus its pretty cool to drop off the mountain into Matewan and over into Kentucky to get fuel and something to eat. I would like to go down again. I go to the little coal trailhead more. Because its only 45 minutes from where i live.

It's pretty nice, especially after reading about the laws about off road riding in other states. Their's a few local "outlaw" single track riding areas too.

It;s been a few years since i've been to WV. What area has the best single track, The single track I road was really good, just not alot of it.

It;s been a few years since i've been to WV. What area has the best single track, The single track I road was really good, just not alot of it.

If your going to ride hatfield mccoy's. Then buffalo mtn. is probably your best pick for single track. Thats where trail 199 is. The other trailheads have single track, but usually more double track. They are going to be opening a new trailhead this year at Ivy branch in Lincoln Co.. I haven't been there, but there is another off road park called burning rock near Beckley. Its not part of the hatfield mccoy system.

I would say Buffalo Mountain has the most and best single track, Rockhouse would be my second option. What is nice they are close enough you can ride both if staying for a couple days. A connector between Buffalo Mountain and Rockhouse would be great if they could pull that off.

Back