Head Removal w/ Pics

liv2day

Platinum Level Site Supporter
I don't know if this will help anyone else, but figured it was worth posting as I'm essentially an armchair mechanic and only get into this kind of trouble (lol) on the weekends in the garage :D

First, need to thank firffighter for the steps and description on what to do. I might have been able to figure it out by looking things over, but that doesn't do much on the confidence front.

I didn't take pictures of getting the bike to what's seen in the first shot, but I removed the seat, shrouds, and fuel tank. This gets you initial access to the head bolts, spark plug, and coolant line (water tree).

155046999.jpg

Loosened the clamp on the coolant line and then pulled off - be ready for a gush of coolant and it will not go where you think...lol.

155047000.jpg

I attempted to do the same thing on the other radiator, but couldn't get enough "leverage" on the coolant line with the pipe in the way. So, I pulled the pipe off the bike too - more room is better for those of us mechanically challenged (lol).

Back to the head and remove the spark plug; I took a picture of what it looks like...a bit on the rich side I think.

155047002.jpg

With the spark plug out of the way, remove the two bolts for the coolant lines and soak up any drips of coolant with a rag. I ended up using a zip tie (to the frame) to hold the lines up and out of the way.

155047003.jpg

I thought it would be a simple matter of removing the head bolts as well as connection bolt to the frame (at the "top" of the head - red arrows), but I ran into a couple issues.

155047384.jpg

First, my standard 3/8" 12mm socket would not fit on the bolt head immediately to the right of the water tree connection; and I couldn't get an wrench on it either. I ended up getting a thin-walled 1/4" 12mm deep socket and that was the ticket. If you don't have one of those around, then the other suggestion I heard was to grind a standard socket down.

Second, I couldn't remove the frame connection bolt; there wasn't enough clearance with the radiator attached. So, I just removed the bolts for both radiators for ease of access.

At this point, it's a simple process to remove all the head bolts and pull the head. This is what mine looked like upon removal.

155047004.jpg

Using the directions on Ron's site (http://www.rb-designs.com/), I did the squish test. Here's what it looked like with the solder on the top of the piston.

155047008.jpg

One thing I didn't take a picture of was removing the flywheel cover (need to do this to move the piston) It's a simple matter of pulling the 8mm bolts from the cover seen in the 2nd shot (with the clamp removed from the coolant line). Use a socket to move the piston to TDC a couple of times once you have the solder in place.

Aside from the socket issue, a very easy thing to do. I cannot wait to get the head back from Ron's shop and report on the difference. I'm hoping it helps with fuel efficiency, but really can't wait to see what it does for the power delivery.

Did I miss anything? If so, please feel free to add and I'll edit the original post.

Heres a tip. At the bottom of the water pump cover there is a small allen head bolt. This is the coolant drain hole and is much easier/less messy to work with, especially if you modulate the cap as a breather to control the flow.

Removing the lower rad bolt and loosening the uppers allows the rads to be moved forwards to provide more clearance.

Great write up! You piston is very clean (fuel washed).

Heres a tip. At the bottom of the water pump cover there is a small allen head bolt. This is the coolant drain hole and is much easier/less messy to work with, especially if you modulate the cap as a breather to control the flow.

LOL - if only I'd known about that drain bolt before having coolant gush out of the line, the motor and then flowing down the skid plate and onto the garage floor :D That'll make it much easier when I go to flush my coolant next time :D

Thanks Jake - looking forward to the difference from Ron's work :cool:

LOL - if only I'd known about that drain bolt before having coolant gush out of the line, the motor and then flowing down the skid plate and onto the garage floor :D That'll make it much easier when I go to flush my coolant next time :D

Thanks Jake - looking forward to the difference from Ron's work :cool:

Oh wow. That stinks...

So Since you have it all drained I would recommend you try and loosen that drain bolt now and make sure not seized up for the next time you need to drain. The first time I went to drain my via the little bolt it was VERY tight and I stripped the Allen wrench insert on the bolt and had to use vise grips and heat to remove it...

Just a thought.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Oh wow. That stinks...

So Since you have it all drained I would recommend you try and loosen that drain bolt now and make sure not seized up for the next time you need to drain. The first time I went to drain my via the little bolt it was VERY tight and I stripped the Allen wrench insert on the bolt and had to use vise grips and heat to remove it...

Just a thought.

Nah, not that big of a deal - had a huge drain pan under the bike that caught most of it anyway.

I'll definitely do that, need to anyway to get the rest of the coolant out of the motor (and hope it's not seized - Allen bolts in some places don't make a ton of sense).

On the coolant note - any recommendations on what to run?

And on another note, Ron called me and my head's already done! I just need to make time to get out to his shop to pick it up :D

Yes Allen Bolt there not good. I replaced mine with a stainless steel Allen Bolt.

Great that it is done already. Just shipped mine off today !!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back