Home made skid plate, whataya reckon?

noobi

Well I decided that during the school holidays that I would make a skid plate for my bike, seeing as I cant ride at the moment.
This is the cardboard mock up, im hoping to get some peoples opinion on it, and what they think is the best way to mount it too the frame, before I cut it out of 3mm aluminium.

I think an L shape tab at the back of the plate that slides over the frame rail, and a horizontal bar that goes between the engine and frame that the plate bolts to.

cheers

4.jpg

6.jpg

7.jpg

5.jpg

I'd go with of 5mm aluminum with welded side wings (round the corners a bit) and you'll have a winner.
thumbsup.gif

The mounting method is the same a Scorpions. It will be just fine.

Make it out of 5mm aluminum with welded side wings and you'll have a winner.
thumbsup.gif

Haham the corners, yea, I just used square bits of card to get the angles right.... they look a bit spaz at the moment
Im not sure I can get 5mm, have you ever caught your feet on the wings? And how far from the water pump and stator cover are they on your scorpion guard?

cheers

never caught feet on wings on mine. i would try to integrate a method to stop mud from scooping into the front ... i use foam, but a ventilated plate wight work....

it would also be nice to not have all that mud buildup around sprocket/under shift lever. i had a piece of foam jammed in there that worked well...

Ya the mud build up on the front of the engine needs to be dealt with. I haven't got around to dealing with that yet. Never did try the foam...does it work or maybe a better solution will work.

Ya the mud build up on the front of the engine needs to be dealt with. I haven't got around to dealing with that yet. Never did try the foam...does it work or maybe a better solution will work.

foam works good. i have one piece between the rails, one piece in front, and a small piece under the shifter. closed cell, doesn't breakdown, doesn't absorb water, very firm, stands up to washing/mud/sticks/rocks..should last at least a few years..... i used mcmaster #8726K73 (i think...12"x12"x2") and had enough to do 3 bikes....it's pink!

Add some flares that go out under the footpeg mount brackets so those things don't get hit.

I would fab a bracket that permanently mounts to the front of the frame rails that the skid plate then bolts to. Makes it real easy to put on and take off that way.

Drill a bunch of 1" holes in the bottom of the plate for drainage. Unless your extremely abusive in your riding the holes are not a problem. Smaller holes can also be placed in other strategic areas.

i had mine made out of stainless i ride a lot in rocks but will get some shots of it 4 ya in the next few days and the mounting system as pictures better that explanation

Very nice. As long as the welder is out, tie the aluminum pipe guard into it and you'll have something special! Actualy make it a bolt on arangement for easy R&R (the Hyde's biggest downfall).

Very nice. As long as the welder is out, tie the aluminum pipe guard into it and you'll have something special! Actualy make it a bolt on arangement for easy R&R (the Hyde's biggest downfall).

How do you mean tie in the pipe guard?

For the mud collection, I was thinking of making a sheet of rubber, that goes from the top of the plate to above the exhaust port, someone incorporate it into how the plate is mounted, so the rubber is held firm, but isnt in the way if the plate needs to be removed.

Essentially duplicate the functionality of the Hyde in the aluminum design, but have the pipe guard section removable. Weld braces on the pipe guard, and have them bolt to the skid plate in a way thats fairly easy to remove. This is the next best thing to a frame mounted cage in pipe protection. I have a Hyde and I'm still using my original pipe, and its nasty here.

For mud just use the foam. The Moose foam is nice because its heat resistant and can be compressed tight up againast the pipe, even the header near the cylinder without worry. I'll have to try and find the commmercial equivalent. Its a course open cell, so the water goes right through, with the mud sticking on the surface.

That guard should be called the cobra guard for obvious reasons.
Cheers Mark

The alloy spine thats on my pipe now is pretty flimsy and doesnt really protect the pipe from much other that roost. So if I was to try incorporate a pipe guard into the design it would be similar to the one in that article swazi posted, that will be for after iv made radiator guards and a pv cover though. Im making 2 extra bash plates for friends to buy at a reasonable price. I have access to all the necessary equipment, alloy welders, benders, guillotines etc.
cheers for the replies

Back