Info Needed - Trials Tire Comparison for Trials Bike

GasGasDreamer

Platinum Level Site Supporter
hi,
i am looking for any personal info, or links, for comparing trials tires on trials bikes and not necessary on enduro bikes.
i run pirelli trials on both front and rear of my ec300 and absolutely love them.
i have a gasgas '01 txt 280 trials bike that needs new rubber and i wanted to get some info before my purchase.
what it comes down to is that a quality like sidewall stiffness that is 'good' on an enduro bike does not mean that it is 'good' on a trials bike.
i think pirelli designed their trials tires for enduros and not trials, hence the much stiffer sidewall.
i know this isnt the best website for this info but i would appreciate any leads and info.
thanks all

IMO a Michelin X-Lite is the best tire 'hands down' for a trials bike. Literally wraps itself around anything laying in the way.....They DO NOT work well on enduros bikes My .02 worth

You can't go wrong with Michelin X-Lite. It's 500grams lighter than the existing X11. Nice soft side walls, grips very well.
I've only tried a Dunlop D803 on the rear once. It was OK but I much prefer the Michelin even the older X11 is a great tire.
I have a new Mitas ET-01 TL Trials. I'm thinking on trying on my EC300 next.
Cheap tire stiffer side walls OK for and enduro, it's just a little to wet and snowy right now.:D

Last edited:
the mich tires are the benchmark,and the x11 is a bit more reasonable than the lite.had good luck with the dunlops,although thy are known for the knobs ripping off.dunlops can be aired down more than the mich as their sidewalls a little stiffer(1-2 lbs lower).irc has a new trials tire out and its also quite soft,only ran it on my enduro soo far ,but would rate it better than the dunlop and as soft as the mich with better duarbility

I compete in trials and also have used trials tires on my enduro bikes. I use the Dunlops on my trials bike, mainly because they are cheaper than the Mich. I think they are fine for the average competitior.

I also have used Dunlops on my enduro bikes and they work well in the right conditions. Anything but lots of mud and fast grass tracks. I have also used the Pirellis on my enduro bikes and they last longer than the Dunlops and have a stiffer sidewall, so if you flat, you can still ride on them. They do not stick quite as well as the Dunlops.

I have experimented with various knob removal patterns to improve trials tire traction in mud and loose rocks/soil. This pattern has worked best for me...

. O O X O O X O O X O O
O X O O X O O X O O X O
O X O O X O O X O O X O
O X O O X O O X O O X O
. O O X O O X O O X O O

O intact knob
X removed knob

I have experimented too. This didn't work so good in the mud.:D

603832318_2ywWd-XL.jpg

I have experimented with various knob removal patterns to improve trials tire traction in mud and loose rocks/soil. This pattern has worked best for me...

. O O X O O X O O X O O
O X O O X O O X O O X O
O X O O X O O X O O X O
O X O O X O O X O O X O
. O O X O O X O O X O O

O intact knob
X removed knob

I've been waiting for this post, I figured eventually someone would cut knobs and experiment

how much different is it? Does it help with the tire loading up and skidding when you brake hard?

The big improvement is forward thrust in mud and loose rock.

Braking is a bit better.

It doesn't load up with mud as bad. The key too clearing mud out of a trials tire is to run low pressure. This way the tire flexes and opens up after contact with the ground.

I would think that the remaining knobs may be more prone to shearing off. Stock, the forces on a hard surface like a rock would be limited by adhesion and distributed across several knobs. Modified, you now have more side knob contact, and potentially more force transmitted through the knobs. Being the knobs/compound is very soft and not designed to be loaded in this manner, it could be a weak point. Eric has been doing this so I guess he knows for sure. I will try it with a used tire and see how it holds up in the rocks.

I would think that the remaining knobs may be more prone to shearing off. Stock, the forces on a hard surface like a rock would be limited by adhesion and distributed across several knobs. Modified, you now have more side knob contact, and potentially more force transmitted through the knobs. Being the knobs/compound is very soft and not designed to be loaded in this manner, it could be a weak point. Eric has been doing this so I guess he knows for sure. I will try it with a used tire and see how it holds up in the rocks.

I wouldnt cut a comp tire, but I may try a MT43 they are a lot stronger

It might be worth trying a Vee Rubber. They are a lot like the michelin in carcuss and knob feel.

Some more cost conscience people use them in trials and flat trackers prefer them over Pirelli.

Vee Rubber are also now making a 19" for MX'ers wanting to do flat track.

Trials tires are used for the radial design that allows a lot of flex and large contact patch, and the sticky compound. Without this, there is no point in going with a close spaced tire like that shown, at least for technical riding.

If you're looking for a cross between a knobby and a trials instead of cutting knobs why not try one of these? http://www.motorcycle-superstore.com/2/29/393/5346/ITEM/Kenda-K270-Dual-Purpose-Rear-Tire.aspx

Some are saying that this tire with the Tubliss is a good combo.

I have used that tire on my 640 DS bike. They work good on heavier bikes that see plenty of street use. They work OK in the dirt, wear like iron and are cheap. But they are no comparison to a trials tire or real knobby that's used on an off road bike.

they do not flex like an mt43

I run the Kenda K270 on my TE510. I love that tire! Although it may not flex exactly like a trials tire. I'll tell if you rim locks are snug and you run very low psi (6-8psi). It a great tire and they DO flex quite nicely.:D

They wear well and are dirt cheap (around $60). But I'm not 100% convinced on running one on my 300 yet. Like stated above I have a Mitas trials I want to try first.

I'm too happy with my MT43 to switch but I thought the Kenda 270 might work better in the slick mud and brake sliding with Tubliss and about 4psi.

Back