Is the stock pipe on my new 2012 300 any good??

fletchman45

I have heard of the stock Gas Gas pipes weld letting go on the stock pipes. Would it cause a DNF???? (Ripped the pipe out of the cylinder on my Husky 150) darn big hiding boulder! And tried to keep riding, but louder then and airplane and NO power so gimped back to my truck. Do I need to grab and FMF pipe???? My bike is fat right now and sheer top end power does not feel super impressive, so I DO NOT want to give up ANY top end power and I do not feel the need for more bottom end or midrange. Super sweet engine and is so smooth it feels slow!!! Anyone know what pipe is best if needed?? Or can I just throw a carbon fiber pipe guard on my stock pipe and let er rip without worry?????

I've got something like 6700kms on my 2010 now still on the stock pipe with p3 guard. Hitting huge rocks will mess up any pipe of any brand. I avoid them where I can. I haven't had to blow my pipe out yet and only small tweaks at the header. I somehow managed to break the lower mount and frame mount last ride though.

The bike responds to jetting really well and you can shift the power around a lot just by making a few cheap changes. A head mod is your best bang for buck though so if that hasn't been done I'd recommend it. It'll really bring the engine to life.

They are not stainless, they are nickel plated steel. Good pipe.

Sent from my C771 using Tapatalk 2

As usual the Internet is exaggerating a minor issue.pretty much everyone I know that has a gasgas has a 6 day or a replica model with a stainless pipe.nobodys had an issue ,and all ride nasty terrain .

What Clay said, "2011 Six Days"... Got my bike in June and have had the pipe rewelded twice. It's on the longitudinal seams where they split. During my last harescramble the bike started to get loud into the second lap and just got louder. Lost some power but I was able to finish the race. That split was along the entire bottom of the pipe. The first split was on the second bend coming out of the jug. In fairness the first split happened after a rock dented the front of that bend but the seams separated like there wasn't even a weld. Looking closely there was no bead or weld material or anything. I've got an fmf gnarly as a backup and it's real close to stock. Stock pipe has a bit more hit in the midrange but the bottom and top are almost identical. Only thing I don't like about the fmf pipe is it screams "COME HIT ME" cuz it's so low.

We replaced a split 2011 Six Days stainless pipe with a stock nickel steel pipe and had no more worries.

The nickel steel pipes are pretty stout and well placed - unless you pancake on a rock you should be good. The FMFs hang lower, but nothing like the stock pipes on the KTMs (which are light guage as well).

Welded, but it appeared that some bad material processing may have contributed to stress failures.

Most propagated after an impact of some sort, with excessive revs exacerbating the issue.

It looks like a resistance seam weld but the setup was incorrect for stainless so it didn't fuse very well. Surprised they didn't split when it was hydroformed.

depending on the materials, the weld may be stronger than the material, itself. I've seen different grades of metal break, again, next to a weld.

The stainless exhaust pipe on my 11' Six Days split on the top seem from the Exhaust spigot all the way to the silencer during a H/S race just after I bought the bike in 11'. The split was almost 2" wide at some points.The bike was so loud and down on power I was getting passed by little old ladies on bicycles, but I was able to finish the race. GasGas warrantied the pipe(Thank You) and gave me an FMF gnarly as a replacement. It feels very close power wise to the stainless OEM pipe.

Thats funny ! :confused: I have an `11 Six Days 300 and have raced it since day one .. Now granted I have never even dinged or dented the pipe it has never given me a minutes trouble..I have 15+ 2hour races on it. In fact I could probably take the pipe off clean it and hit the outside with a "Scotchbrite" and sell it in used first class condition...

Thats funny ! :confused: I have an `11 Six Days 300 and have raced it since day one .. Now granted I have never even dinged or dented the pipe it has never given me a minutes trouble..I have 15+ 2hour races on it. In fact I could probably take the pipe off clean it and hit the outside with a "Scotchbrite" and sell it in used first class condition...

Not sure if the 250s were harder on the pipes than the 300s or not - I had a 300 with 20+ hours and the stainless pipe was flawless.

Back