More aggressive bottom/mid needle recomendation?

95jersey

Currently have a NEDW and feel it is just a bit too soft on the bottom and mid. It is just kind of lack luster in the power department. Nice on top end, but in the woods I rarely get up there to enjoy it.

Not looking for something that will rip my arms off, but some more bottom end grunt.

Currently have a NEDW and feel it is just a bit too soft on the bottom and mid. It is just kind of lack luster in the power department. Nice on top end, but in the woods I rarely get up there to enjoy it.

Not looking for something that will rip my arms off, but some more bottom end grunt.

A Yamaha N3CW duel taper needle will give you a touch more lowend, and provide a more substantial hit into the middle. It doesn't run as clean down low as the Suzuki NExx needles, but it shouldn't be that bad. You'll need a pilot jet 1-2 sizes larger than what you are currently using with the NEDW. The main jet will also be about 2 sizes larger. If you find yourself really liking the N3CW, but want a smoother transition into the middle while retaining the low end. I would suggest using a leaner slide.

Im walking the same path with nedh on a 200.jakobi mentioned nech which is half clip leaner.so if youre running ned# In clip2,then nec# in clip3 will be 1/2 clip richer.i havent tried it yet tho but will.im also curious to try a leaner slide with stock noz# but its $20 needle,$130nz for slide

Im walking the same path with nedh on a 200.jakobi mentioned nech which is half clip leaner.so if youre running ned# In clip2,then nec# in clip3 will be 1/2 clip richer.i havent tried it yet tho but will.im also curious to try a leaner slide with stock noz# but its $20 needle,$130nz for slide

The leaner slide, when combined with the Suzuki NExx needles really makes the bike very responsive. It doesn't add any low end torque like the Yamaha N3xx needles, it just adds throttle response. I usually will drop down a starting diameter when I use the #8 slide. I will go from an NEDW to an NECH.

You have a couple of options when it comes to getting a new slide.

http://www.rb-designs.com/rb_designs_llc_013.htm or

http://jetsrus.com/carburetor/carb_keihin_PWK33-41_carb_exploded_view_parts.html

The leaner slide, when combined with the Suzuki NExx needles really makes the bike very responsive. It doesn't add any low end torque like the Yamaha N3xx needles, it just adds throttle response. I usually will drop down a starting diameter when I use the #8 slide. I will go from an NEDW to an NECH.

http://jetsrus.com/carburetor/carb_keihin_PWK33-41_carb_exploded_view_parts.html

I like the idea of having an alternate slide rather than cutting mine. Do you know which slide comes stock on a 2014 300 for reference?

Here's my setup on my '13

N3CJ needle 2nd position summer, 3rd position winter
175 main (now 170)
40 Pilot

4500' and up for altitude.
Head has been cut to tighten squish and the comp is pretty high. Like on the verge of needing race gas. But, at my altitude I have a pretty good safety net. At sea level it will ping a touch at idle after a hard run. Could probably be fixed with a little jetting.

As for how it runs, I like it. Not really a hit. Very smooth. Lots of low end grunt. Like long rocky technical steep climbs in second, like when I think I need to downshift I just roll on the throttle and it just keeps going.

My set-up for Ohio

13 300
N3CJ clip 2
178 main
42 pilot

This is perfect for my riding, I do a lot of trail work and single track.
Very smooth, easy start, little spooge

The slide # is stamped on it.my 13 200 has a 6,nozh stock,but that doesnt mean a lot if you have a 14,300.the 13 manual lists a 7slide with n1ef for 200,250,300(usa)...go figure,the only way to be sure is to take a look i guess

The n3.. range of KTM needles is probably what you want. I used to have one on my bike and it was definitely more "fun" than the NE.. that I have now, harder hitting in the mid but still good traction at the lower end

They are about the same at bottom end but the n3 comes on harder in the mid where the ne is more linear. The ne is easier for technical terrain (or less aggressive riders)

swazi matt, what are the last to letters on the n3 needle you speak of? is it a ktm needle, and do you know what yr and model it's from? It's some times a lot easier to order them that way.
Can anyone tell me why lots of people on here drop the last 2 letters and just put, examples- nexx, cjxx or noxx when they are describing something as unique as a needle?
Did I miss something, or is it just the first 2 letters that are the important ones??
I'm trying to learn as much as I can about needles, thks everyone.

mine was an n3eh (i think - the details should also be listed on the jetting thread) and i ride about the 1000m level

Bike year & model = 2010 EC300 PWK ASII 38mm
Temperature (deg C) 20-35
Elevation = 600m - 1200m
Main jet = 172
Pilot jet = 40
Needle & notch = N3EH #2
Air screw setting = 3
Throttle valve/slide = stock 7

this seems to be working fine for me, possibly look at going down one of pilot as the air screw is fully open

swazi matt, what are the last to letters on the n3 needle you speak of? is it a ktm needle, and do you know what yr and model it's from? It's some times a lot easier to order them that way.
Can anyone tell me why lots of people on here drop the last 2 letters and just put, examples- nexx, cjxx or noxx when they are describing something as unique as a needle?
Did I miss something, or is it just the first 2 letters that are the important ones??
I'm trying to learn as much as I can about needles, thks everyone.

We're only discussing OEM needles here, identified by 4 letter code. Some only come with a particular brand of cycle. Some are shared across multiple brands.

Most start with an N (N1Ex/NOZx/N3Ex/N3Cx/NEDx,NECx)

The x denotes the diameter:
D=2.685mm
E=2.695mm (JD Blue)
F=2.705mm
G= 2.715
H= 2.725
W/I=2.735 (JD Red)
J= 2.745
K=2.755

You then have series of needles which share the same taper profile, but vary in length/clip position.

All these are KTM needles sharing the same dual taper profile listed as per 1/2 clip variations from leanest to richest they are...

N89x=leanest
N3Cx
N3Ex
N8Rx
N2Zx
N4Dx
N3Vx
N4Ax
N6Mx=richest

The N3Cx/N3Ex are also OEM for Yamaha YZ250s from around 05 onwards (originally N3EJ, and then moved to N3EW to try and reduce some off idle pinging). As such you can order through KTM or Yamaha.

TM, Gas Gas, Beta, KTM SX models, all used N1Ex or NOZx (half clip variants of eachother). This is a triple taper needle that starts off very rich and then leans out. It works OK in some applications, but has a very short straight section making the diameter rather hard to use as a tuning variable.

Suzuki RM250's use NEDx or NECx (with NECx being half a clip position leaner). They are a triple taper needle as well, however have a longer straight section and a lean first taper. In the gassers this makes them quite clean off the bottom, and a little richer through the mid which results in a smoother throttle application. Lacks punch/hit but lugs down well and responds to clutch as required. Good for technical terrain.

So to answer your question, the reason most people say N3xx or NExx is because they are referencing a particular taper profile. The diameter and clip position varies largely depending on the combination of pilot jet, slide cut away, float height, altitude, humidity, fuels, temp, carb models (AS1/2), etc.

Thanks SO much for the recommendation. Just installed the leaner slide and it made all the difference in the world. This is really a great mod.

Thanks SO much for the recommendation. Just installed the leaner slide and it made all the difference in the world. This is really a great mod.

You are welcome. I'm glad it's working out for you. What jetting setup are you using ?

Back