new boots stink

gassergrant

Hi after one ride I washed my boots and the inside got wet so washed the hole lot and now they stink, its nothing to do with my feet, they just got wet and its buggered them.

anyone know why and if or how I can get rid of the pong.
any help would be grateful as im gutted as ive only used them once

grant

I hate riding gear funk!
Possible fix. There are some enzyme odor treatments available and some oxidizer treatments that may help. I would avoid the perfume options like Fabreeze as that will only add a flowery smell to the stink and the combination rarely smells good. :eek:

To avoid the problem with boots, I plug the shop vacuum hose into the output blower exhaust port. Then stick the blower hose into the toe of the boot and let it run until it is dry Typically 20- 30 minutes. The vacuum actually warms the air and does a great job of drying the boots.

Bicarbonate of soda (baking powder) should get rid of the smell. A spoon in each DRY boot for a day is supposed to work

Bicarbonate of soda (baking powder) should get rid of the smell. A spoon in each DRY boot for a day is supposed to work
I do the baking soda thing after they're done on the dryer. I notice my boots stink really bad after riding through backwater that contains lots of decomposing matter.

I use maxima foaming helmet cleaner. That and remove the liners and wash them from time to time. That usually keeps them from smelling like dead fish.

I powerwash mine at the same time as the bike after every ride and let them dry in the sun, seems to work well enough.

Baking soda would be my suggestion.

You blokes are good!

I don't bother with it. Mine are always wet either with water/sweat. If its muddy I hose the outside off, but usually don't even bother cleaning them.

Avoid leaving wet socks in them, avoid keeping the boots in a box/gear bag/confined space. Allow to dry naturally with some ventilation. Might stink the morning after a ride if still wet, but generally no issues.

I cant get within 15 feet of my boots without a stink-o-meter going off the charts.

Ive tried everything to clean them, but the baking soda. Looks like I have a cleaning project at work for the next two days.

I cant get within 15 feet of my boots without a stink-o-meter going off the charts.

Ive tried everything to clean them, but the baking soda. Looks like I have a cleaning project at work for the next two days.
once my boots are dry, I just throw some baking soda in each boot...no particular amount, but plenty. I just shake it out, before I repack my gear.

Hah! Mine were that bad earlier this year. The only way I could get the smell out was to replace the inner bootie.

bought a commercial boot dryer last week for MX boots, ski boots, snowboard boots, hiking boots, etc prob a good investment for $45.00 ... wish I would have heard about the shop vac idea before LOL

I just let mine dry naturally.
Never had a problem really....

Have you tried washing them with plain water and letting them dry naturally?
Maybe it's the cleaning powder/detergent your using.

Just a thought
Cheers
Ken

Back