Newbie GasGas owner / help with suspension tuning

Haven't checked everything but for clicker settings all are from fully seated out a certain number. Be sure not to over tighten when seated (thats what all the manuals say).

Bump the thread again later and I'll get the Ohlins recommended starting points for the TTX Shock. I have the docs at home.

Okay cool, so starting from the clicker (screws) tightened or clockwise then backing out or loosening the clicker or screw X number of clicks.

I just wanted to make sure I was clear before I starting changing a bunch of stuff. I will take pics and document what things are before starting for comparison.

Thanks to everybody that took the time to help a complete newbie like myself get things going in the right direction. Can't wait to get rid of the harsh feel and actually be able to float over a rock instead of running into every single pebble on the trail.

TTX Shock - Ohlins Recommended set-up
Spring preload 10mm
Rebound damping 12 clicks
Compression damping 14 clicks
CSC damping 24 clicks

Free Sag (static) 35 +/- 5mm
Ride Height (race) 110 +/- 5mm

Update, the rear shock was a breeze. I decided to take it out a different way. I flipped the swing arm UP and the shock was simple to remove. I loosened the top bolts and removed the silencer and lower bolts and I was able to get to the shock without issue. The new spring was 5mm taller than the stock. I put it on the shock, tightened it until the spring was compressed 10mm. The way I measured the preload was to just use my sons ruler and just tightened the spring to 1 cm of preload. That sound right to you guys?

I can't wait to see what the difference is now that the correct preload and spring is installed. The rebound and Compression was 12 and 12 so I changed it to 12 and 14. I have no idea what the CSC was so I set it to 24 clicks as previously suggested. Which appears to be several clicks out from where it was.

As for the forks, I chickened out. I have a big ride thats 1800 miles away in a couple days and I didn't want to dig into the forks that close to a major road trip having not done it before. I didn't want to cut it that close in case I messed up something. Looks strait forward though.

Thank you guys again for all the help with this. I will get my springs installed when I get back and post an update for those interested.

Fantastic. Look forward to the report. Did you end up measuring the rear sag after installing the new spring? (static and race). Ideally the static should fall between 25-40mm with 30-35 being the magic spot.

If you decide to tune the shock on your ride Ohlins manual suggests using the CSC first. Out will make the bike softer in the rear. In will be firmer. Once you achieve the setting that gives the best ride (doesn't wallow but doesn't beat you up), then go on to fine tune the compression and rebound.

Back