No spark - attempting to debug

CombatYoga

Gold Level Site Supporter
A few months ago my bike would spark intermittently and we tracked it down to loose connections in the CDI. Followed the advice on someone on the forum who had the same problem (bent the tabs to ensure tight contact).
That resolved things.

Last weekend at the Zink Ranch National Enduro the bike died right at the end of test section 6 as I was transferring back to camp(thankfully).
I was able to tell on the trail that the bike was not sparking.

Now that I've got it home I'm trying to debug the problem.

There is a round cylinder like electrical module just below the CDI. It is attached to the frame via 2 metal tabs that it is bolted to. Both of those metal tabs have broken (presumably due to vibration). There is a ground connection attached to the right side mounting bolt, so when the tab broke it is no longer grounding. I drilled a hole in the frame and sanded the paint off to make a new ground connection (you can see the yellow wire with the green stripe screwed into the frame).

Here are my questions:
1) What is that black round cylinder module?
2) Am I OK moving the ground to the new location like I did? Or does that mounting hole have a connection to something internal to that black cylinder?

The bike is still not delivering a spark even after these changes.

I'm not very good at electrical issues and have about reached my limit.

Any help appreciated!

Attachments

• IMG_0265.jpg
    IMG_0265.jpg
    121.8 KB · Views: 41
The black module is the coil. On the older bikes there is a small stack of connectors that get attached to the coil through one of the tabs that broke off. Are there any other connectors/wires in that area that should be connected to the coil?

Grounded the coil - still no spark

Thanks for the replies you guys.

I don't have ready access to a welder, but I think I have worked around that - still no luck.

In the picture below, I zip tied the coil to the frame in almost exactly the same spot it was before. You can see the remains of the metal tabs just above the coil on the left and right.

The yellow/green wire used to attach to the coil mounting bolt, which would ground it to the frame via the metal tab. I ran that wire to a new location on the frame where I tapped a hole and sanded away the paint. Following your advice that the coil itself needed to be grounded, I created the white/brown wire to connect to the same ground location. In my mind this mimics exactly the way it was prior to the tabs breaking.

I'm still not getting a spark.

Do coils go bad? Any other ideas on what may be happening or how to continue debugging? I did cut the kill switch wire just to make sure and eliminate that as a cause.
I'm in uncharted waters here. Thanks a bunch you guys!

Attachments

• IMG_0266.jpg
    IMG_0266.jpg
    128.9 KB · Views: 26
It's possible that ignition pick up went bad.
A buddy on mine KTM wouldn't start. We swapped everything with no resolution.
He bought a new stator plate with the pick and the bike fired off right away.

You can test the pick up with a voltmeter set on Hz.
Probe the two wires and kick the bike over.

Back