Ohlins TTX help....opinions..

redrider

I recently bought a 2011 Nambotin with TTX inserts in the 48 Zokes. The spring rates were .44. TTX shock 5.2.

I'm 190lbs (212lbs with gear) and Ohlins told me I needed .48 springs for the forks and a 5.4 for the TTX shock. So springs swapped, new oil and seals and the valving is untouched.

Shock is great.

At higher speeds the forks soak up most things well, but in slower single track rocks and roots (especially anything off camber, angled or sharp) I take a pounding. I'm coming off of 45 zokes on a 2011 six days which were set up well for eastern woods racing and were quite plush, though they didn't do as well at higher speed rough terrain, which is why I decided to go with the Ohlins closed cartridge upgrade.

Is this a valving issue? Is it common to need to revalve TTX inserts for woods? These are currently more comparable to my CRF450R stock showa forks than my 45 Zokes. I'm no suspension guy, but does it sound like I need a revalve to go with the spring change. I've also had 2 different tuners tell me I need .46 and .47 springs.......? Ohlins guy said I should be able to make them do what I want with just the clickers.

Tried many different clicker adjustments..... little improvement.

I'll assume you have played with the clickers, but just in case, the ttx carts have a wide range of adjustment. I could play around and get good use on virtually any terrain, the rebound is the trick in rocks and roots, go 4 or so clicks out from the stock setting (I think something like 14 or so clicks out) and the harshness will disappear. Hope that helps.

I would be around similar weight. Say 170lbs nude, but the same if not more geared up. I spent most my time chasing the perfect setting on the shock trying to tune out a high speed kick.

Back to rates, I have been running the forks with .46 rate springs and 3mm preload and they have been pretty good. They aren't what I would call super plush, but they don't do too much wrong either. They occassionally have a bit of a spike on hard square edges that can be felt through the bars which I attribute to blowing through the stroke a bit fast, however they don't really deflect. In general, they do have a bit of compromise between plushness when working the technical sections and firmness when picking up the pace.

If you decide on a revalve, call Evan at Solid Performance, he did mine & bkwdc's as well. Like butter.......

I've played a lot with mine and the clickers make a huge difference to me if you get the spring rates right. They are a harsher fork at slower speed which I've commented on in the past quite a bit but the trade off for the bike handling like a knife Is i think a good trade off. The shock still just desimates everything else I've tried and that's a lot, however if it's not serviced regularly the shock gets sloppy as well. Everytime I have my service done it's like my bike is brand new again!

Update on the TTX. Appears the inserts were screwed up. From worn parts to broken parts to valved "oddly". No wonder it wasn't what I thought it should be. At least I'm anxious to test it out again. Fingers crossed!!!!

Back