Oil change on 97 gas gas ec250

fastestindian

I just got a cheap 97 gas gas ec 250 and want to give it an oil change. Is there two seperate oils one for the transmission and one for the engine? What weight oil should I use on the engine? What transmission oil should I use? Where are the filler holes. Where are the drain holes?
Not my first bike but this is my first european bike and obviously im clueless.

oil for engine is in the premixed fuel...40-50:1 quality synthetic

trans takes 900ml - lotsa choices for oil weight - i use amsoil 0w-40. some use atf, etc etc..

trans drain is in the back center half of the motor underside.

trans filler is just above and forward of the front sprocket. a very small funnel is effective, but slow.

2-strokes don't use "engine" oil. That is the reason you premix the gasoline. The gas/oil vapor goes through the crankcase before it makes its way to the top of the piston to be burned. The gas/fuel mix lubricates the crank and rod bearings taking the place of "engine oil".
The transmission section is sealed from the crankcase and as the last post says, many oil choices. ATF being very common because it's inexpensive. I also use 0-40 (maybe it's 5w40?) Shell Rotella synthetic from WalMart. A light oil is prefferred to keep shifting smooth.

There are 2 drain holes under the case. The forward one exposes the crankcase to drain water if you drown the engine. The other will drain the transmission oil. Be forwarned... DO Not overtighten them or you'll never get them out next time.

It DOES have an oil filler hole. But it's for the transmission oil. Like Stainless said, it's above and forward of the front sprocket. It uses an allen wrench also and isn't very large. 900cc's.

I have a 97 also. I can post you up close pics of the filler hole and drain plug for a visual if need be? I can do this in the morning when I get off duty.

SNV12185.jpg

Last edited:
Back