oil leaking from air box

raggun

hi
I have a 2005 450cc FSE that I just bought.
After the first ride I noticed some drops of engine oil leaking from the bottom of the air box housing (the black box in front of where the air filter is)

First I thought it might be because of too much oil so I replaced the oil according to spec. (taking care to empty also the oil in the frame)

But is still leaking. Any ideas?

I was thinking engine breathing problems but I dont have a clue how to check that.

Thanks in advance.

That is a common problem with the 450's. I believe that the breather filter has to be in place and in place correctly to function. I wish I knew more about 4t bikes...

The 2005 is a notorious driveler. The breather hose needs to be split and retrofitted with multiple foam inserts. There was a factory kit for this including all the necessary items.

The 2005 is a notorious driveler. The breather hose needs to be split and retrofitted with multiple foam inserts. There was a factory kit for this including all the necessary items.

ok does anyone know where I can get one of those kits or have a picture or drawing of the rerouted hose?

cheers Ragnar

Just stuff the hose with very open foam.

tack s? mycket Bergerhag
Do I need to cut the pipe and put the foam somewhere in the middle of the hose or can it be stuffed at the end, and if so which end? By the air filter or by the engine?
h?lsningar Ragnar

Engine side is better, keeps oil from splashing up. There shoud be at least one foam insert in there already, just poke it out to get a look of what type of foam is needed.

Fellow swede? (Or google translate?)

On further inspection I found out that the former owner had drilled an hole at the bottom front of the airbox (in front of the air filter)

The bike then obviously will draw unfiltered air so that can not be good. This will also show a leak for any drop of oil that is drawn through the breathere.

I will therefore start by pluging that hole and see if that fixes things.

My guess it that the former owner made that hole because oil was flowing out through the airl filter and he thought this was a fix for that!!!!!

I'm familiar with the early GasGas 4-strokes.
This problem came up several times, especially in the 2005 FSE450.
Every time it happened and I was contacted, it was with nearly new or new bikes.
Then, the cause of the problem was blowby from the rings not being seated properly. The owner had started off using a top grade synthetic oil and the extra lubrication properties of the oil had not allowed the rings to seat properly. The resulting blowby would not only blow oil smoke out the breather, but was actually depositing oil in the airbox.

With the new bikes, we were able to fix the problem by going to a non-synthetic (but good grade) oil long enough to get the rings to seat properly. It would stop the blowby, and the "oil in the airbox" problem. Then, the owner could go back to their preferred lubricant.

Taking this line of thinking further in a logical manner, and taking in consideration the probable amount of use your bike has had since it was new, I think that you are most likely ready for a top end job, or at least a new set of piston rings to stop the blowby.
Have you done a compression test to check how well the rings are sealing?
This just may be your problem.

Good Luck with your bike. The 2005 was my favorite year for the early GG 2-strokes. The slipper clutch was nice, and the harder you pushed the bike in the tight trail, the better it responded. Except for the weight, if felt quite a bit like the GG 2-strokes.

Good Riding and Good Wrenching!
Jim

hi Jim
thank you for your comments.

No I have not done a compression test.
The bike has only done 4.100 km, guess its too late to try the non sync oil treatment?

One thing you mention is oil smoke out of the breather.

I have however not observed any oil smoke from the breather or exhaust at startup or under acceleration.

Hopefully that gives hope regarding that there is no blow-by by the rings.

regards Ragnar

The "breather" I was speaking of was a transmission/crankcase vent hose that was run to the air box.

I'm sorry for the confusion. I'll try to do better.

Back