OOPS I really stuffed it.

Cox76y

Hi all, hoping someone can help. I was an idiot this afternoon and rushing putting my bike back together. When replacing the battery in my bike I connected positive and negative around the wrong way. There was a bit of smoke and then a loud bang. I now have no spark so I know Im going to have to replace a few things. The smoke and bang came out of a small square box under the tank. Im not sure what it is as the gasgas diagrams arent that good. Does anyone know what this is called and if I can get a ktm replacement? I thought a fuse may have blown before doing any damage but fuses all seem fine. Is it possible Ive done damage to more than just this square box (photo attached)?

Attachments

• 20220407_155559.jpg
    20220407_155559.jpg
    114.2 KB · Views: 50
Hi all, hoping someone can help. I was an idiot this afternoon and rushing putting my bike back together. When replacing the battery in my bike I connected positive and negative around the wrong way. There was a bit of smoke and then a loud bang. I now have no spark so I know Im going to have to replace a few things. The smoke and bang came out of a small square box under the tank. Im not sure what it is as the gasgas diagrams arent that good. Does anyone know what this is called and if I can get a ktm replacement? I thought a fuse may have blown before doing any damage but fuses all seem fine. Is it possible Ive done damage to more than just this square box (photo attached)?

That looks like a rectifier / regulator. I have no idea if a KTM replacement exists, but components like those are often quite generic.

Thanks Anders,
do you think it is likely I have damaged the coil or CDI? The bike still kicks over, just no spark.

That looks like a reg/rect unit - easy and cheap to replace.

Unless you have test equipment it will be tricky to isolate any other problems.
I would get a replacement reg/rec and if still no spark try replacing the coil etc from a pal who has the same bike...

Unfortunately I am the only gasgas rider around these parts. I have a multimeter and have been doing a few tests however the wiring loom doesn't seem to match up with anything in the online manuals so it makes it hard to test the stator. Im hoping this is the only problem. Dont know how hard it will be to get my hands on a cdi if I have cooked it. I really thought there would be an inline fuse somewhere to stop this happening but other than fuses for the starter relay, I cant see any.

Thanks Anders,
do you think it is likely I have damaged the coil or CDI? The bike still kicks over, just no spark.

What year is your bike? The CDI may be dead if it is connected to DC via the battery.

From the schematics at page 69 it looks like the CDI has a 12v dc connection. If you apply -12v there (as you did) I would presume the cdi is dead and gone.

Oh bugger, will that apply even if I made no attempt to start the bike when it was hooked up wrong? I'm going to pick up a regulator from a wrecker tomorrow and hook it up. 🤞🤞

Yep that is the main fuse for the harness and a spare. Just make sure that hasn?t blown. It usually does when people hook up batteries backwards.

I must have been lucky, I got a new regulator 2nd hand off a ttr 250. It plugged straight in with no changes to the harness. Bike works fine so thanks everyone for your input.
regards
JC

OK, turns out I'm not as lucky as I first thought.. Bike runs as per normal until I get to high rpm. It signs off EARLY. It's almost as though it's been put into the rain setting on the mapping switch, however it doesn't have one. I've replaced the ignition coil and the regulator. Anybody know of it is likely the stator or the Cdi? I'm not sure how to test either. Happy to send the cdi to a shop if they can diagnose it somehow..
Any ideas?
Thanks. JC

OK, no answer with the last post so I'll ask another question before I outlay the cash for a new CDI.. Is a faulty stator likely to effect the very top of the RPM and not effect the bike in any other part of the Rev range?
Thanks
JC

Test the output. If it's within spec then that's not your problem. Check plug wire, clean all ground connections, and make sure your ignition coil is good and grounded properly.

Back