pilot jet vs. air screw question

stainlesscycle

Site Sponsor
in theory would 42 pilot + 1.5 turns out be basically identical to 45 pilot and 2.5 turns out?

or does the larger pilot + more turns out make more flow, but same % air/fuel mixture as smaller pilot + less turns out.
for example (random unit number...):
42 pilot 1.5 turns flows 10 units at 14.7:1
45 pilot 2.5 turns flows 15 units at 14.7:1
??

or does the pilot jet size work independently of the air screw at any throttle opening?? (i.e. air screw closed to 1/8, pilot size closed to 1/4)?

i dont know exactly what your asking, but i will try to throw an answer at it. the 45 pilot at 2.5 may make a similar mixture ratio of fuel/air, but there will be more of both. i dont know if you could make it exactly the same, but i would think they would be close, though technically the air screw isnt supposed to be a set it and forget it adjustment, you technically should be adjusting it throughout the day as temps and weather conditions change. from what ive read on more than one forum, you want to keep your air screw around 1.5 turns, if its under 1, go up a size pilot, if its over 2, go down a size. but if it works better with the 45 and 2.5, run it. but anyhoo, it may make the same ratio mix at 42 and 1.5 turns, and 45 and 2.5 turns, but you also have to figure in actual quantities of both, say 10 units of fuel and 1 unit of air for the 42 1.5 combination, versus 20 units of fuel and 2 units of air (made up figures). pilot circuit is pilot jet and air screw from 0 to about 1/8 turn of the throttle, 1/8-about 2/3 is the needle, and above that is the main jet, but the pilot circuit still affects the whole range because it continues to feed fuel and air into the motor even when its not the primary source. i dont know if that helped any or not, but i figured id throw a shot in the dark at it.

Back