Re-shimm or not??

bigguns

Hey!

Fredrik from Sweden here!

Just bougt a GG 450 FSE -06 with only 40 h run tim on it.

Anyway, I mesured the valve clearense today and its as followed.

Inlet valvels 0.15 mm , just on target, ok

Exhaust left, seen from behind, 0,20 mm with soft violense. ( maybe 0,18-0,19mm is the truth)
Exhaust right, (de-comp side) 0,25 mm just on target, ok

Question, do I need to re-shimm the left exhaust valve?

Bike is going to run on ameature level.
And of course, this is Sweden = outdoor temp almoust never raise above 0 degrease, so yes its hard to get started on closed throttle.
Full throttle is the thing upp here:).

Best regards Fredrik

Hi again!

Well, I took the exhaust cam away this evening because i saw something on the left side that I did?n like.
Klick on the small picture to see bigger pic, ok.

The left "valve pressure" suface on the cam (sorry about the bad language) side was worn all the way around, as you can see on the pic.

Im going to mesure the shims tomorrow at work with micrometer an then order a thinner one.
Then I?ll gonna sent a prayer that I can put the camchain back alright. I?m really nervous about that.

Best regards Fredrik

I couldn't tell much from the pictures. I can only compare it to my older TTs and XRs. It didn't look too bad, maybe take the cam to a shop that is involved with drag racing. See if they notice anything abnormal. You may also want to examine the top side of the bucket that comes in contact with the cam lobe, anything abnormal or worn there? Don't worry too much if the cam doesn't look perfect. Jim

Hi again!

Workt a couple of hours with the bike last nigt. (- 2 degres in garage, yippiee)
I put in the 3.00 mm shimm instead of the factory 3.07.
Now I hade a promising gap of 0.25 on both exhaust valves.
Pretty easy to line upp the crank with the cams.

started it today, - 5 degres outside, started on the 3 rd attemt:) with the button.

Happy so far.....

Good job! I have never worked on a 4t engine, so I watch these posts, with great interest. I'm hoping to have enough knowledge stored, for when I go the 4t route. I won't give up my 2ts, but have wanted a 4t, for some time.

Back