Rear wheel bearing question..

GGRider01

My rear wheel bearings are 1 x 6205-2RS and 1 x 6004-2RS. The 3rd bearing on the sprocket side that has a larger outer diameter is supposed to be a 6005-2RS. The problem with that is my sprocket side spacer is clearly designed (and short enough) to be ran against the side of the inner race of this bearing but the the inner race is 5mm too large.

What I'm wondering is if at some point the spacer was redesigned and meant to be ran into the inside of this bearing or the axle itself was redesigned and steps up to 25mm on the sprocket side.

It's an easy enough fix with a 6204-2RS (which makes me 2mm too wide) but makes me wonder why my bike is different and why I should have to buy my wheel bearings individually. If the later spacers are different, it would be much nicer to just have the right spacer, so my bearings are the same as on the microfiches.

Edit: I figured it out pretty quick.. I know in the past, when I had to mess with these, I googled for a picture of the spacer but wasn't able to find one. Finally found a picture, and mine is definitely a goofy replacement. It should look like this based on the part number. There should also be a washer between the large bearing and the hub, which is maybe why the wider bearing seems to work out, since mine is missing. Likely the reason this bearing is clacking also.

Last edited:
Edit: I figured it out pretty quick.. I know in the past, when I had to mess with these, I googled for a picture of the spacer but wasn't able to find one. Finally found a picture, and mine is definitely a goofy replacement. It should look like this based on the part number. There should also be a washer between the large bearing and the hub, which is maybe why the wider bearing seems to work out, since mine is missing. Likely the reason this bearing is clacking also.

There is no washer between the bearing and hub. There is a "special" washer between the two sprocket side bearings though.

That is what I meant. Since it goes between a much smaller bearing and a larger bearing, it is bound to lay up against the inside of the hub as well as against the inner bearing. But I could be wrong.

Do you think this is the reason my bearing failed?

I don't see how. Since the inner races are the same size, when pressed together by tightening the axle they should spin in unison. In any case, it's getting replaced with the same unit until my spacers and washer get here.

Turns out my center spacer is too short. Came brand new with the supermoto wheels. Side loaded the bearings and caused the oldest one to fail. Getting it set true and proper, with the later style outer spacers and using the correct length center. After more digging, it turns out the spacers on a 2000 and previous are different so require the different bearing which no one lists.

Last edited:
Ok, so I discovered that my bearing setup was actually correct, and my spacers were OEM. While swapping my dirt wheel on the rear, I forgot to measure the center spacer tube that goes in the hub, but I could tell the new tube was too short and was causing sideload on the bearings - they lasted about 120 miles. It would jiggle around inside the hub with bearings installed.

What I had done was gone to a bearing shop and bought the same bearings that were in my dirt wheel, but used the new inside spacer which was too short.

http://www.gasgasrider.org/html/rear_wheel_bearings.html This is how mine were. I updated to the newer setup with the special washer and everything seems fine. I ran the old inside spacer to be safe and it locks in place with bearings installed.

Back