rev limiter on 2005 450 FSE?

houndog

Well, have about 650 miles now and have been very gentle on her. I also have not worn a helmet during this time as I wanted to hear the motor. Today I put on the helmet and went for a ride and decided to run her a little hard. I wound her out and experienced a "missing or cutting out" at full throttle and high rpm. Went away as soon as I backed off slightly. It felt like I had hit a rev limiter. With the helmet it was hard to judge the rpm as the bike sounded different than I was used to. It felt and sounded like a rev limiter but I have no idea if the thing has one!? Got back home, shed the helmet and went for a ride...rode her hard, no missing but I could hear the engine and doubt I ran her as hard.

Any feelings on this fellas? Did I just hit a rev limiter or was she actually missing?

Ed

Probably hit the rev limiter. Be sure and unplug the blue/yellow wire at the ecu to put it to the richer setting.

Thanks again, Nick. It felt like a limiter but I did not know if it actually has one. The wire is unplugged and even has little caps on each end :).

With the helmet on it was so quiet and smooth it is quite possible I ran it to the limit. I'm very easy on my bikes and cars. I even use the clutch! But I may very well have simply over revved it.

Ed

It's a long time since I disassembled the ecu code but from memory the limit is set at 9k5? What did the tacho read?

Qui-gon, it has a tach? Nothing in my book about one and my speedo looks like the one on my 300. Is it a function of that unit I have not found? Now you got me curious!

My guess is that it was spinning pretty good and I was not used to not hearing it wail so I over revved it. I did not let it happen again.

Rode around w/o helmet (eye protection always) and never got close to winding it up since I could hear the engine.

It never quit pulling until it hit that limit. I also was on the road. I'd never run it that hard in the woods and probably that was as hard as I have run it since I got it.

Since you guys verified it does have a limiter I'm pretty sure I just took it all the way.

I have been breaking it in and for a lot longer than the book says. No lugging, no high RPM, varying speeds, heating it up and letting it cool completely. Putting just a few miles at a time on it...you know a tank of gas worth :)

Thanks guys, for the info.
Ed

Hadn't noticed your sig says 05. No mention of a tach in the handbook under the trip meter stuff but strangely they refer to the instrument on p61 as a tachometer!

Well, I'll be darned if they don't call it that!!!!!

As much as I love my Gasser's I am amazed they give us the "side stand from Hell" so I'm not surprised or upset at anything I run across :) A tach would be nice but I can live without it. Just glad to know I probably just banged the limiter....sure felt like that!

Thanks again for the replies!
Ed

Back