Rich or Lean

dickieshep

I am new to 2 strokes and have an EC300 that is running rough.

In first gear on a barely open throttle it feels like it is stuttering and continues this way upto about half throttle.

Can someone please tell me what it would feel like if it was running lean and running rich.

Thanks.

I am new to 2 strokes and have an EC300 that is running rough.

In first gear on a barely open throttle it feels like it is stuttering and continues this way upto about half throttle.

Can someone please tell me what it would feel like if it was running lean and running rich.

Thanks.

It would help to know what your current settings. The main controls 1/2 to full throttle so what you need to know is pilot size and how many turns out on the air screw as well as which needle and which notch the clip is in the needle.

You could start by turning the air screw one way or the other and see if it gets better or worse.

If it is the Air Striker II, it would be rich.

The AS II likes to be jetted lean, the needle also plays a major part in the jetting now.

Second that its most likely rich.. Pull the choke on and see if it gets worse to confirm.

A rich condition will burble ba baba baba ba kind of like and won't want to rev.
A lean condition goes flat for a moment and then twangs with a surge of power. Booo waahh! sound.

Now close your eyes and imagine me making those sounds :p

I agree it is very likely too rich. Anytime you get sputtering and not revving cleanly you're usually rich. I also describe it as "breaking up", like running with the choke on. Do what Jakobi says and pull the choke on when running. I'll bet it gets even worse.

Second that its most likely rich.. Pull the choke on and see if it gets worse to confirm.

A rich condition will burble ba baba baba ba kind of like and won't want to rev.
A lean condition goes flat for a moment and then twangs with a surge of power. Booo waahh! sound.

Now close your eyes and imagine me making those sounds :p

Suprisingly that really helped! think mine is running rich. :D

Hello Jakobi
I would be very interested to get a sound clip sample of your excellent 2 stroke sound descriptions :)

Back