Riding at elevation and cold temps - jetting suggestions?

CombatYoga

Gold Level Site Supporter
I am racing my '14 XC300R in an enduro up in north Texas this coming weekend. The terrain is at about 3000', whereas I am at sea level here in central Texas. Also, the temps could be in the high 30's/low 40's.

Wondering how these two factors might affect jetting and if it's something I need to be concerned about.
I currently have a JD Jetting kit in it that is set up for sea level.

Should I consider an alternate spark plug (hotter perhaps?) or a different octane level of fuel?

Thanks,

Slade

I am racing my '14 XC300R in an enduro up in north Texas this coming weekend. The terrain is at about 3000', whereas I am at sea level here in central Texas. Also, the temps could be in the high 30's/low 40's.

Wondering how these two factors might affect jetting and if it's something I need to be concerned about.
I currently have a JD Jetting kit in it that is set up for sea level.

Should I consider an alternate spark plug (hotter perhaps?) or a different octane level of fuel?

Thanks,

Slade

You will be fine

I always left mine alone.

I've run stock spark plugs and pump gas up to 13,000 feet in my 2012 and it runs fine. If anything you'll be a little rich so you should be okay.

Adding to what the guys said, you might want to just adjust the a/s a little and if she's blubbery, a notch on the needle.

I usually ride in the 1-3k range in the coast and only adjust the a/s when I take her up to 5-6k at Gifford or over in China Hat; maybe a notch on the needle if the temps are drastically different.

fwiw
my ec300 hates this oxygenated fuel [I think that's what it is, not sure. it smells bad]
loss of power, poor performance everywhere.
I run race fuel and its back to being mr. wonderful

I've always fed mine whatever was available so I don't know the difference. Runs fine as far as I know but maybe ignorance i bliss :rolleyes:

Back