simple carb fuel level tool

Gasgasogeros

Hi after so much time try to make the correct fuel level on pwk i find this simple tool . i hope to help make the float level setting very easy in my case solve all the symptoms of rich fuel on low rpm i have idle and no overflow on size stand
IMG_3636.jpg

IMG_3642.jpg

The tool

nice plan batman!

if you modify the "tool" length could you use it with the carb in the bike and use the same fuel level position? - as a check, obviously you would need to remove it to adjust the level

There used to be such a tool you could buy a few years ago. It screwed into the float bowl drain.

if you had this tool mounted with the carb in place where would you check the level? (since the carb sits at an angle)

I think it would be pretty hard to get an accurate reading having it mounted on the bike. Since you have to remove the carb anyway to install 'tool' and most likely make adjustments...why not just bench test?

To confirm, the correct level is right at the seam where the bowl and carb body meet = yes in my case the fuel level before its about 3-4 mm up from the bowl end the carb body end if stay on stand lose benzine , end rich on bottom end rpm the adjusting with keihin way its not correct for me because cant see the level on real time

@ Gasgasogeros,t hank you very much for this.

My 2003 EC250 has never idle'd since I got it and also ran horrible when in low revs - especially because I converted it to ride on the road. I have tried different jets and idle jets, it didnt make a difference

The fuel height on mine was about 5mm above the seam, when I mounted the carb in a vice and filled the fuel bowl I could see the fuel trickling through in to the carb opening and overflow pipe - which explains why when adjusting the air screw and idle screw it made no difference at all.

Got the bike idling now and it feels a lot more crisp off the throttle.

Simple question for someone with a carb on the bench- What is the diameter of the drain opening? I am placing a McMaster Carr order and plan to order a stopper or two in the right size.

Of course, looking at the page, I need to order a package of 40. Maybe I should wait for the missus to open a bottle of wine or ask some wino for a cork. Woe for me, the simple lager drinker...

Simple question for someone with a carb on the bench- What is the diameter of the drain opening? I am placing a McMaster Carr order and plan to order a stopper or two in the right size.

Of course, looking at the page, I need to order a package of 40. Maybe I should wait for the missus to open a bottle of wine or ask some wino for a cork. Woe for me, the simple lager drinker...

If you can hold your order until next Monday, I can measure my AS II drain and let you know on Sunday .

simply yes:)

Thanks. Mine is really off the scale... it's at the level of the "P" in PWK engravings on the side of the carb even though float height measure was 6mm (from the highest point of the float to the seam of the carb ) .
I'll see if I can bend the tang enough for 7mm to start with .

Thanks. Mine is really off the scale... it's at the level of the "P" in PWK engravings on the side of the carb even though float height measure was 6mm (from the highest point of the float to the seam of the carb ) .
I'll see if I can bend the tang enough for 7mm to start with .

if you have to bend it that much to get it right, that the little spring in the float needle might be ready to be replaced :rolleyes:

The seam of the floats will not be level with the joining edge of the bowl on an AS2. The float level should be 6.5mm stock, but others have found 7.5-8mm works much better. You can still use the plug and tube to measure the actual level of the fuel.

The seam of the floats will not be level with the joining edge of the bowl on an AS2. The float level should be 6.5mm stock, but others have found 7.5-8mm works much better. You can still use the plug and tube to measure the actual level of the fuel.

Thanks. I will try to post a pic of the fuel level at 7.5mm as it should be different from the AS1 due to having a smaller bowl .

hi the best way for find the correct fuel level for me , i think on every type of carb, it to set the fuel level 5mm down on overflow coper tube :D

Back