So what are the 450's like?

kendunn

I have a couple of GG 2t's (EC250 and DE300) along with an XR650R for adventure/DS type stuff. When it comes time to replace the XR I was thinking about an FSE450 mainly because where I live in KY, USA, the XR's are a pain to plate (otherwise I think its the perfect DS bike, or at least it would if it had the button). I know some of the earlier 450's had a few issues that were ironed out in 06 or so (someone correct me on that), but I was interested in things like power delivery and maintenance. I know nothing beats the XR for gas and go, but is the GG bad as far as needing timing chains, rods, pistons, etc, especially when DS? I have ridden a couple of KTM 450's, one must have been an XC-W as it had a lot of hit, not much fun off road. Another was an EXC and it was fine, much like mt XR, only lighter of course. I also use to own a YZ 450F that was not good offroad. So what does the FSE compare to? Do they work well for and adventure type bike? If you had a once in a lifetime trip to Copper Canyon would you take it? I got burned bad on a Husky years ago and still have a bad taste in my mouth, I may have to suck it up and look at a 610, however if the 450 won't fit.

GasGas sell an EC515 FSR .
I have heard of the GasGas engine lasting over 40,000kms
Personally I have nearly 6,000kms on mine and never needed to adjust the valves even. The Dealer I use has never replaced a piston in one yet..

That sounds good, especially since the pistons cost over $300 American :eek: I may have to keep an eye out for one of the big 4t's. I don't think I would buy new, but a good 06/07 for a good deal would make my ears perk up a bit. I have a Triumph Tiger also that I never get to ride, I may sell the XR and the Tiger and get me another GG. That would make 3 in the stable, heheheheh.

While I think these would make a neat dual sport type bike be aware of the small gas tank. Clarke makes a 2.7 gallon for the 07-09 bikes and a 2.8 for the 06 and previous. Not really very big IMO. Safari Tanks makes a 3.6 gallon for the 2008 and on (don't know why it wouldn't fit an 07) but it's $450 from Just Gas Tanks. If you're ok with all that I suggest an 07 or newer.

Like em or not the KTM's with the RFS motor (400,450,525) 07 and earlier make great dual sport bikes. The 07's XCW or EXC (full street legal) are the best IMO. The 08-10 motors have some troublesome issues for my comfort level.

Want to go another interesting route??? Get a Beta with the nice IMS oversize tank. Uses the great KTM RFS motor and can be had in the stripped enduro RR version or the fully street legal RS version. Oh, linkage rear suspension with a Sachs shock and Marzocchi forks. Sound familiar. These are beautiful bikes with excellent build quality.

08 forward uses different fuel injection and likely a different pump in the tank being the reason the tanks are different. I have an 07 but have not seen an 08 so the pump info is speculation. My 07 will go 80-100 miles on the Clarke tank. The earlier 05-06 tank will work on 07 but doesnt fit very well.

GG 450 would make a great DS bike, 07 to 10, i have a 08 the only real advantage of the 08 on is if the battery fails the bike will still run without it.
The motors are great, power is very smooth its got power everywhere no area is lacking. Reliablity is first class better than most, S/steel valves low rev ceiling only 10,000rpm, 6 speed box, standard gearing is 100MPH, headlight is a good bright unit. I have close to 6000 miles on it, in that time i have had one valve check and its just starting to get a bit tricky starting at times, so i guess it may need it first valve adjustment soon, only last ride i flooded it and i had to wait 5 minutes to get it started that was first time ever its failed to start straight away.

The only area i can see a weakness is the sub frame, its alloy and overtime it could crack if you put on a rear rack and loaded it up.

Safari tanks would give you a good range, if you required a sub tank get a flexable bladder type because with the EFI you can not run a T connection as you can with a normal carb bike.

GG compares to KTM 450 exc, the GG has a lighter feel or tip weight the motor has a smoother spread of controlled power, the gg is also a better handling bike with no headshake issues ,Ohlins at the rear 06 to 08 the front forks are ok standard but can be inproved In all the forums i have read i have not heard of any rods , timing chains etc required replacing from 06 to current.
The workshop manual rec oil changes every 650 miles, the oil filter is the same as XR 4.

Hope this helps

Starting to sound good!!! I will be watching for an 08 on and may put my Triumph Tiger up for sale. Trouble is those 450's don't show up much for sale...

I ran my first dual sport event in IL yesterday on my 05 FSE450. It worked better than I did :)
It did get very hot though, and I don't think the fan kicked in - I'm going to put a manual switch for that.
With the Clarke tank, I went through 1.6 gallons over 32.5 miles - probably 80% tight single track and 20% open fields.
Seems like a lot of juice to me but normal more wide open trails usually gets me about 60 miles before the light came on.

I've had it for 3 years and put on about 1600 miles with no issues. Other than a Rekluse would make my life a lot easier.

I own 3 2T gassers, my home is 40 miles away from gasgas fsctory and I know people working there.

My advice is to stay away from GG 4T build on or before 2007.

And my personal opinion is that the newers ones are too far away from being a trusty bike like the smokers are.

have fun,

j.

With 4 times the parts in the head alone, I don't think any 4t will be as reliable as a 2t. IMO.

4 times is way too conservative :D . No moving parts in a 2t head. My son wanted a 250f of some sorts a year ago and I told him not as long as I had to work on it. Thats what brought us to GG in the first place. I like the old XR's (Honda of course), but man, these new 4t's scare me, that's why I started this thread. What would the repair bill be if you exploded a piston in one of these and it took out the head and crank? :eek: I bet as much as you could buy a great used EC300, later model.

Well I have 300h+ of hard enduro riding on my 2005 FSE450. I have never needed to adjust the valve play, and not done any engine related work, besides a starter motor problem. It runs like clockwork.

I own 3 2T gassers, my home is 40 miles away from gasgas fsctory and I know people working there.

My advice is to stay away from GG 4T build on or before 2007.

And my personal opinion is that the newers ones are too far away from being a trusty bike like the smokers are.

have fun,

j.

Hi all!
Well, this is my first post here! :p

A friend of mine owns a 450 -05. It has 7500 km, no valve adjustment, 0 issues. He loves his sweet bike.
I own a ec 450 -09, it hasn´t much lifetime, only 2000 km. 0 issues. I love its fantastic engine. 2008-2010 year 450´s are more powerful and they have more quick and abrupt gas response than my friend´s bike, but his bike is easier to ride than mine.
I don´t know any 2006 -2010 gas gas 450 having reliability issues....So, I think they are good bikes.

Maybe if you know people working inside the factory, it´s possible you have some information about 450´s we don´t have....If you have this information....I´m sure it will be very appreciated! :D
So... don´t save words and tell me wich part of my bike will fail in the future!

All the 4T what if ers, say that about your car engine??
GG 450 are a reliable bike, in fact More reliable than a 2t as far as i am concerned, heres the proof
GG 4t's dont go through plugs or foul them.
No stuffing around with jetting EFI is more reliable
The engines last longer, your doin engine work replacing piston/rings etc well before you are on the 4T, is than more reliable?? no it aint boys.

Yes if the motor blows its gonna cost more on a 4t but your looking at worst case, you look after it and its just a valve shim, maybe a cam chain 10,000 miles plus and thats a maybe.

All the 4T what if ers, say that about your car engine??
GG 450 are a reliable bike, in fact More reliable than a 2t as far as i am concerned, heres the proof
GG 4t's dont go through plugs or foul them.
No stuffing around with jetting EFI is more reliable
The engines last longer, your doin engine work replacing piston/rings etc well before you are on the 4T, is than more reliable?? no it aint boys.

Yes if the motor blows its gonna cost more on a 4t but your looking at worst case, you look after it and its just a valve shim, maybe a cam chain 10,000 miles plus and thats a maybe.

Well, I don't mean to knock the 4t's, but car engines are totally different. The valves adjust themselves and pistons move much faster in motorcycles than cars.

I don't want to get a debate started, but I can rebuild my 2t motor in a few minutes if the crank and cylinder are OK. It takes almost as long to get the tank and plastic off as it does to replace a piston or rings. Don't get me wrong, there are certain things I really like about 4t's and lord knows I love my old XR650R, but there is just a lot of really fast moving parts in those motors for my comfort level on some of the bikes. Also EFI is great (my Tiger has it) but complex. I can't even keep a headlight burning on my dirt bike :D . Now where did that wire go?

With 4 times the parts in the head alone, I don't think any 4t will be as reliable as a 2t. IMO.

I disagree, The top end of a current GasGas 4T is very reliable, the fact it doesn't need touching for thousands of kms is proof of the matter !!

Seems like alot of 2 stoke vs. 4 stroke guys.

I like them both and they have their place and DS is not for a COMFORTABLE ride on a 2 stroke. Anyone that has done it know exactly what I am saying.

As far as 4 strokes go they are more complicated and have more moving parts to wear in theory wheather they do or not is up to debate. I have a friend with a YZ400F with over 500 hours on nothing but a piston, hone, and gaskets. On the other hand my Gasgas EC250 is pushing over 300 hours with the same thing.

As far as Gasgas 4 strokes I have never even seen one up close before. I know they are based off a DRZ400 engine tho. They have similar cam specs as well. The DRZ is know for good reliability so why not a slightly different version?

I think you should give it a try and at worst end up with a fun trail bike.

Seems like alot of 2 stoke vs. 4 stroke guys.

I like them both and they have their place and DS is not for a COMFORTABLE ride on a 2 stroke. Anyone that has done it know exactly what I am saying.

As far as 4 strokes go they are more complicated and have more moving parts to wear in theory wheather they do or not is up to debate. I have a friend with a YZ400F with over 500 hours on nothing but a piston, hone, and gaskets. On the other hand my Gasgas EC250 is pushing over 300 hours with the same thing.

As far as Gasgas 4 strokes I have never even seen one up close before. I know they are based off a DRZ400 engine tho. They have similar cam specs as well. The DRZ is know for good reliability so why not a slightly different version?

I think you should give it a try and at worst end up with a fun trail bike.

I think I will keep an eye out for one and try to thin the herd until one comes up. I didn't want to get a 4t vs 2t debate started, they both have their place. Like you said above, I have no desire what so ever to DS my EC300. Too buzzy and I am sure it would go through top end pretty quick in those conditions. For long periods of constant, steady throttle, 4t's rule. For quick bursts of power those 2t's are pretty cool!

Well, I don't mean to knock the 4t's, but car engines are totally different. The valves adjust themselves and pistons move much faster in motorcycles than cars.

Just so you know, any car that I ever worked on do not have self adjusting valves. Also most of the tuners I know are spooling their honda cars up to 9000 +or- rpms. I own an fsr450 '07 but only have 600 kms on it so I can't comment on reliability but its been excellent thus far, not quite as much front end lifting power as my cr250 but it works decent

Back