Static Impressions - 300 Race

How ridable are they in rocks, I mean serious rocks like some parts of NJ, PA, or New England? I fully expect to revalve them like every fork I have ever had, but are they close enough not to hurt me?:eek: Springs I might do immediately so I know what I'm dealing with.

I would think for that kind of terrain you would still be doing a revalve. I grew up in New England and most of the riding was just plain gnarley when it came to rocks and roots.

How ridable are they in rocks, I mean serious rocks like some parts of NJ, PA, or New England? I fully expect to revalve them like every fork I have ever had, but are they close enough not to hurt me?:eek: Springs I might do immediately so I know what I'm dealing with.

Glenn,
I think you might be surprised how good these forks work with the odd set up I'm using. First get the springs correct. This is critical. Then back the clickers out all of the way and turn the pfp valve in one turn. I'm sure that Marzocchi did not intend to for the fork to be used this way but it really is working good for me and Zach, my son. I can not remember my front wheel running down a root in the last two national enduros. I think you guys should give this a try before you spend re-valve money.
Here is an approximate guide that I worked up on springs:
140 pounds stock front stock rear
160 pounds .44 5.4
180 pounds .46 5.6
200 pounds .48 5.8
220 pounds .50 6.0
240 pounds .52 6.2
260 pounds .54 6.4

The first number is the fork spring, second the shock spring.
Clay

Glenn,
I think you might be surprised how good these forks work with the odd set up I'm using. First get the springs correct. This is critical. Then back the clickers out all of the way and turn the pfp valve in one turn. I'm sure that Marzocchi did not intend to for the fork to be used this way but it really is working good for me and Zach, my son. I can not remember my front wheel running down a root in the last two national enduros. I think you guys should give this a try before you spend re-valve money.

Clay

Sadly (for the suspension guys in the room) I think Clay is right about the re-valving. I'll post a more thorough ride report on the 300 Race, but while I was riding all I could surmise was that if I don't sell springs I won't be making much money on these forks. They are to off-road what the KYB SSS has been to moto.

Well for sure I'll ride it stock to break it in and evaluate it, and play with all the settings. Its REAL gnarly here where I ride and practice, and the first hare scramble I will probably race it in is a tough rocky run as well. Just wondering if its good enough. Some harshness is OK but deflection is a nono.

2012 spring rate chart - Thanks!

Hi Clay, thanks very much for providing the 2012 suggested spring rate info. I was gonna ask for this but you beat me to it. Surely many folks just getting their new scoots want this info.
If I'm 190 neckid, go with the 200lb rates for fully dressed? (I ride a wide variety from NJ sand/tight to NE rock slogs.)
I'll take the liberty of reposting this in the suspension subforum, and perhaps the Mod will make it a sticky.

Here is an approximate guide that I worked up on springs:
140 pounds stock front stock rear
160 pounds .44 5.4
180 pounds .46 5.6
200 pounds .48 5.8
220 pounds .50 6.0
240 pounds .52 6.2
260 pounds .54 6.4
The first number is the fork spring, second the shock spring.
Clay

Hi Clay, thanks very much for providing the 2012 suggested spring rate info. I was gonna ask for this but you beat me to it. Surely many folks just getting their new scoots want this info.
If I'm 190 neckid, go with the 200lb rates for fully dressed? (I ride a wide variety from NJ sand/tight to NE rock slogs.)
I'll take the liberty of reposting this in the suspension subforum, and perhaps the Mod will make it a sticky.

Looks about one to two rates too high. Expect a 0.44 or 0.46 for a fast 195 pounder on the front, and maybe a 5.4 rear.

Looks about one to two rates too high. Expect a 0.44 or 0.46 for a fast 195 pounder on the front, and maybe a 5.4 rear.
Ya know, I was thinking that too, since I run .44/5.4 on my 2006 DE300 (190#, solid B rider), which are fine for everything but Big Sky landings.
I can yank the spring rate repost I made in the Suspension section if we conclude this subject requires more real world verification testing.

Thanks for all your valueable info the rest of us can make good use of to short-cut us to setup success.

I've been working out with TRX like a madman all winter. Weighed in today at 182. Maybe I can get by with stock springs if I keep it up.;)

Back