Sub Mount options?

farmerj

Platinum Level Site Supporter
I really like my Scotts stabilizer, but want to sub mount it. The options from both Scotts and BRP require the purchase of a new triple clamp, and the cost gets into the $250-$350 range (without the stabilizer, which I already have.)

Are there any other (cheaper) options to get the stabilizer sub-mounted?

From what I've read, Protec makes/made a sub mount that would bolt to the stock triple clamps - but their website is "down." Does anyone know if they are still in business?

Thanks,

Jeff

Ever figure anything out? I've looked for a bit last year and only came up with the top clamp option. I want to get it mounted for this season, so I've got to figure out something. It's a shame I have this nice ProTech submount that was on my KTM and they look to have gone out of business. Their link disappeared about a year or more ago. He made nice stuff, too.

I too have a pro-tect set-up which I bought second hand.
Someone should copy it and start making them if pro-tect is not going to anymore.
Awesome setup by the way.
Cheers Mark

This bloke has one that fits a 07 husky, not sure if that will fit ours.
He is on craiglist and here is his reply address:
mailto:8sgdf-2894869262@sale.craigslist.org?subject=Husqvarna%20scotts%20sub%20mount%20-%20%24120%20(coq)&body=%0A%0Ahttp%3A%2F%2Fvancouver.en.craigslist.ca%2Fpml%2Fmcy%2F2894869262.html%0A

Here is address for item:
http://vancouver.en.craigslist.ca/pml/mcy/2894869262.html

Cheers Mark

Ever figure anything out?

I have lots of ideas, but in a word...no!

I have realized that the first thing I need to do is decide on bar position. I have some parts & clamps to try various positions & bar heights, and did some brief testing - but now it seems to me that I really need to decide on a tall seat and install that before I know which bar position works best.

I might try Eric's idea re: bars:
http://www.gasgasrider.org/forum/showthread.php?p=57616&highlight=+bar++forward#post57616

The simplest thing to do is spend the bucks and get a triple mount/sub-mount combo. But we like to try out our ingenuity, right? I do not think it would be difficult to fabricate a stabilizer mounting bracket. The center of the stabilizer pivot just has to be exactly over the center of the steering stem. So if I ended up with the bars that far forward (which I think is too far for me, BTW) I'd have to come up with a custom stabilizer mounting bracket.

I'm guessing you've looked at whether you can modify your KTM sub-mount in some way?

Jeff

Attachments

• bar mounts.jpg
    bar mounts.jpg
    5.9 KB · Views: 102
Not that you might want to but sell off the Scotts (if you have that it should be easy) and get the Motorsportz underbar damper/mount. Nice unit, low profile and absolutely top notch customer service.

Their site needs updating/current pics but if you contact them he will provide that to you and some Photobucket pics

General Info about damper
http://www.motosportz.com/MZ-SLD-info.htm

I happen to have a BRP top clamp/sub mount. It never seated fully on the mounting area so the spanner nut would continually come loose while I was riding. (I probably could have milled the center hole a few microns bigger, but don't happen to have a mill).

What I did was take the BRP sub mount/bar riser off the triple clamp and mount it to the stock triple clamp. It isn't a direct bolt on though. I ended up drilling out the far forward mount to accomodate the 12mm bolts for the risers. Easy enough to do, but it does sacrifice the stock top triple clamp.

All of that to say that if you can buy the bar riser/sub mount from BRP without the triple clamp, you could save a bunch of money.

This bloke has one that fits a 07 husky, not sure if that will fit ours.

I have this exact same Pro-Tect setup off my 07 Husky 510 SMR. If someone want to measure the distance between the handlebar mounts, I can check to see if it might work. I'd let mine go for $85

If I were to open up the holes a little bit on the t-clamps of my 11xc, the sub mount off my yz 250 will bolt right on. I've looked at it, and it is for sure doable. I haven't done it yet, because I don't want to change the overall height of the handle bars. I'm using Fasstco bars and I don't really want to go back to standard bars.

If I were to open up the holes a little bit on the t-clamps of my 11xc, the sub mount off my yz 250 will bolt right on. I've looked at it, and it is for sure doable. I haven't done it yet, because I don't want to change the overall height of the handle bars. I'm using Fasstco bars and I don't really want to go back to standard bars.

I believe my BRP clamp was for a YZ 250. After opening up the homes, it fit right on. I also am using the fasstco bars, but wanted the extra rise. In fact, my fasstco bars are 3mm shorter than the freestyle bars I was using. So far, I can adapt fine, but still miss the 3mm enough to put a washer under the flexx dampers to get a little extra.

I'm guessing you've looked at whether you can modify your KTM sub-mount in some way?

Jeff
I just held it up to the clamp today and it's about 1/2in. narrower than the mounts on the stock clamp. One could cheaply fabricate a plate to go between the two I suppose, but I suppose that could make some problems for tower height.

If I wanted to go standard mount I also have a Fastway setup I pulled off my KTM pre-Enduro Concepts setup. There too the 1/2in too narrow issue. I see they have a Scotts clamp for the Gas Gas and their system. Have to check with them if they just sell the top clamp for the Scotts. I don't have guards on yet and they are a good setup.

Skidad said:
Not that you might want to but sell off the Scotts (if you have that it should be easy) and get the Motorsportz underbar damper/mount. Nice unit, low profile and absolutely top notch customer service.

Their site needs updating/current pics but if you contact them he will provide that to you and some Photobucket pics

General Info about damper
http://www.motosportz.com/MZ-SLD-info.htm
Not a bad idea. I love the Scotts, but I've heard a lot of good things about the Motosportz from the Husky site. I've seen lots of setup examples from those guys. The lower rise might be more ergo.

I have this exact same Pro-Tect setup off my 07 Husky 510 SMR. If someone want to measure the distance between the handlebar mounts, I can check to see if it might work. I'd let mine go for $85
Just a rough measurement it looks to be somewhere around 3 15/16 in. or 100mm +/- center to center.

I just received a motosportz damper myself. Haven't put in on the bike yet. Appears to be well fabricated and came with spare seals and bolts. The only thing I can fault on it is the sticker for the adjuster is back the front. S - H, yet moving to S makes it harder, and H softer. I can live with that.

I like the Motosportz package, but can't get past the independent high speed ckt. of the Scotts and Fastway that has worked so well. The Motosportz is very much like the old WER damper in function.

The bar mounts are on 100mm centers, if you look at a Scotts bar clamp for a GG thats what the first 3 digits of the part # mean.

Fastway sells just their top bar clamp for the Scotts from their FIT I system, which was something I wasn't sure of. I don't want to buy the whole system again. The part number for the top mount 100/40 with slider is 22-13-100 $89.95. They seem to think that my KTM tower clamp will fit the Gas Gas. Anyone confirm this before I tear things apart to find out?

I may go this route regardless and forget the sub mount idea. I'd like some rise, but this would get my damper on and solve my handguard mounting issue at the same time. It would certainly be the least expensive route if I don't need another tower.

Regarding ProTech Enduro Concepts, he (Peter Cloutier) must have been out of biz for quite a while. It was about 1 year ago I couldn't find any links either. I dug his email out today and his address was rejected, so no more of his nice sub mounts.

Originally Posted by Darkside View Post

Just a rough measurement it looks to be somewhere around 3 15/16 in. or 100mm +/- center to center.

Looks like my Husky mount is 93-94mm def not 100mm. bummer.

Back