Swingarm and Linkage Bearings

I got mine from McMaster-Carr using a link GMP gave me and the product code on the can is 65005 as in Blitz's first link.
I was suprised at how thin it is but it holds up great.

Sorry for the regression here...

Are there any tricks to disassembling the swingarm linkage, or is as straightforward as it looks?

I read mention that the bearings are uncaged. Does that imply special care is needed to avoid scattering the needles?

Can the o rings typically be reused, or is it prudent to order up replacements before disassembling things?

Swingarm off first, shock, then linkage as a unit. Break main rocker bolt loose while on the bike first though. For reassembly, assemble the linkage as a unit on the bench and leave everything hand tight. I like to insert the swingarm pivot without the swingarm to align the brackets, and just make the main pivot bolt and bracket mounts snug enough not to fall out of position. Shock next. Swingarm last. Tighten everything up with a load on the suspension.

Bearings are uncaged but needles are retained by lip at the edge. If they are really hammered they may fall apart though. If good just clean in place, dry and repack. Always new o-rings.

Jet-Lube MP-50 Moly Paste manufacturer crossover

Dow Corning Molykote GN Plus
Loctite Moly Paste
Keystone Moly 29

The IPL calls for DL2216 (28x22x16) bearings. Locally I can get HK2216 (same size). I haven't been able to find out what the difference is between HK-type and DL-type. Will the HK work fine in this application ?

I went looking for Full Complement bearings to replace the Moose Stuff that I had. My local bearing supplier was unable to locate full complement bearings (full complement being w/o cage, providing more needles, and higher operational loads). The bearing I was after was an NSK F-2216 (F = Full Complement). I ended up with NSK HK-2216 and NSK HK-1612. These are German bearings, good quality. I paid $5 for the 2216, and $3 for the 1612. However, they are caged.

My guess is that the capacity is less as you have a cage, but you can pack more lube in with the cage. I haven't installed these yet, but I will once I get some time. I also bought the Jet Lube, but haven't used it, either.

These HK bearings are the exact same bearings that Kawasaki used/uses in the KX250 two stroke.

Did that help, or was it total blather?

blitz

These HK bearings are the exact same bearings that Kawasaki used/uses in the KX250 two stroke.
Works for me. I understand why full comp. would be better but I'll give the HK a shot. It beats buying a whole kit when you're 1/2 broke and can get by with 2 bearings.
Thanks.
So, for future reference, the DL type is full comp. ?

I looked at a Kawasaki parts fische (knowing that the GG frame is based on a kawa frame), and they list their bearings as AL1216 and DL2216. I am not sure what the DL is. Or the AL is for that matter.

All I could find in Full Complement was the NSK bearing catalog. Those were designated with the F number. I can send the NSK Needle bearing catalog to you in a PM if you'd like.

I think if you use a quality German Bearing, Jet Lube, and the O-ring seal set up that I haven't had yet, you'll be fine. I think.

blitz

Thanks for the NSK.
Everything looked great when I took it apart except for the 2 near the drive sprocket. My buddy might've accidentally hit it there with a pressure washer.
The Jet Lube is great. I barely had to tap the axle to get it out and it's been 1 1/2 years and some nasty races since I've had it apart.

Digging this thread up from the depths as I just pulled my swingarm/linkage for annual service and discovered that one set of the linkage bearings were seized :mad: :(

I wish I would have stumbled across this thread when doing the service last year, think it might have saved me the downtime/expense - I used a waterproof green marine grease (didn't know better and thought this would be good) and believe this is what led to the failure. The rest of the bearings were ok, so it must not have been that bad; but still a bummer.

I don't have the tools to swap bearings, so I sent the dog bone to Bill's/URL] in Salem for the work, also ordered the All Balls kit as the bearing race was completely shot; figured replacing all of 'em now that my bike has close to 100 hours was worth it.

Ordered a can of the Jet Lube too and plan to use that for all the bearings.

I'm glad GMP posted the sequence for installation; have the thread I started at the end of '13 when I did this for the first time...should have searched then...lol :o

Back