Tame it down a little.

BELLY FROM OZ

Hi all,
Not sure where to put this question beacause it could fit into a number of catagories, so here is as good a place as any.

2011 ec300 6 day
General trail riding
Sea level, Australia

Have been riding and racing all my life but am now 59 and the reaction times aren't like they use to be, hence I would like to just take the edge of the performance of the bike so that I can keep up with it. Years gone by I would have been asking "I want more" but now I want a little less. I guess there are a million and one ways to do this like jetting backwards (to get less not more), smaller rear sproket to take the edge off the grunt etc etc. I have heard that the jetting etc on the six day is different to the standard ec300. If so has anyone ridden both 2011 bikes and is the standard ec300 a little tamer. There is not a chance in hell that I would get rid of the bike, it's just beautifull to hammer around the country trails, I would just like to ride comfortably every now and then and not be on the edge all of the time. Any ideas???

Last edited:
I hung a 10 oz. flywheel wieght on my 2001 xc300. It is essentially a 10 oz. nut that replaces the regular flywheel nut. Super easy to install, and easy to remove if you don't like it.

It took a little edge off the snap, and also makes it harder to stall the thing.

That might be an option to explore.

The newer bikes come with the heavier fly wheel already. Not sure I would want to change the jetting if the bike is running good. A throttle cam would give you a little more precise control 1/4 to 1/2 throttle. Good idea. Having the suspension tuned/re-valved is a must gives the bike a lot sweeter ride.
I found fitting a larger back sprocket on gives the bike more control but some might say it makes it to snappy. But I sure like my. It's like a trials bike with a seat and a larger fuel tank.:D

Last edited:
If its the off idle snap your talking about, jetting, G2 with #400 cam and back the static timing off a degree orm so.

Hey thanks guys,
All of the information was great. I have ordered a G2 throttle kit with various cams in it and am sure I will find one of them to suite me. It should be over here soon.
Hey forgiven, could you elaborate on the PV cover solution a little please as that may help my girlfriens bike a little (2011 EC200 6 day).

Thanks ......... Stephen

what about running it in rain mode, it should have the map switch, put it in rain mode. that mellows it out a lot.

Power Valve Cover by Trusty

trusty%20big%20volume%20pv%20cover%20arron.JPG

What jetting are you running currently? Leaner = cripser/more snappy, however I found moving a tad richer (say 1/2 clip) will still allow the bike to run clean and will produce a more torquey feel..

hi belly,
i'd richen it a bit, per jakobi's post, and maybe go up a couple of teeth on the back sproket..
main jet in vic make powervalve covers too, i really want one of them.

i wouldn't go up more teeth in the back to tame it down.. bigger sprocket would make it more wheelie prone, make shifts shorter, and accelerate even faster....

the poor man way to tame it down is increase the slack in the throttle cable at the top adjuster. makes it slower to react - but this has all kinds of bad results if you're not used to it... first thing i do is make sure there is almost no slack in the cable, i like things snappy off the bottom, with all the power available right now.

If you have the stock jetting it can be the problem. My 2011 300 six days hit like a 125 and had dead spots all over. Now I run a n3eh needle (3rd clip) 165 main and 38 pilot at 1000 to 2500 foot. I drop one clip for up to 6500 ft. With jet change I have ran this needle to 13,000ft. This set up makes lots of Smooth even power.l feel if the power is smooth and even you can't have too much.

Thats quite lean on the main.. Guess you've probably got a 36mm carb :D

I'm running 42 at 2 turns out. N3EW#2 and 175/178 main in a 300 with the 38mm ASII. Smooth yet strong off the bottom with a nice crisp transition onto the needle and main.

I'd be looking at the following or a combination to tame it down
1 - over jetting it a little on the main jet.
2 - flywheel weight
3 - backing off the ignition timing
4 - increasing base gasket thickness
5 - adding a further spacer thickness between the reed block and carb
6 - building in more slack into the PV actuator to make it hit later

Back