Test-riding Matt's 2011 SixDaze 300

AZRickD

Finally after a few months I was able to corner Matt T and beg him for a ride. Perhaps the condition of my 2005 RB-modded DE250 frightened him off for a while. :o

It was after our qualifier enduro in the desert of San Manuel, Arizona north of Tucson. www.amraracing.com I was sore and tired from 66 miles of test sections and transfers and my clutch hand had two blisters, but I gave it my best.

I fired it up and ran it down the road to the first transfer section of our race. The clutch lever was buttery smooth. The brakes were strong and easily modulated.

Matt had done very little to the bike save for breaking in the Sachs/Sachs (oops, Ohlins/Zokes) suspension and eventually getting it re-valved for rocks. Matt is a fast 250A/30A racer but he thought the stock bike was too stiff even for him. He spent some time to get it broken in but he eventually went to the professional. His tuner did a great job. The bike is still stiff for me (slow B racer), but it was compliant and planted. If only I could manage to average another 5mph on the course. ;)

Note: Matt, is a big dude, but he has yet to re-spring it for his weight.

Matt put in a new needle and had been working on jetting for the first couple of weeks of ownership. I found the 300 to be very nice off idle, but it signed off a little early. This was on the street, so that might be environmentally related. Perhaps it was a little lean on top (MJ=170). Once on the single track I never noticed it.

I hit the trails and felt the power roll on. I hit some straight jeep roads and repeated what my road impression was on the 300. It was very smooth from idle to sign-off. Smoother, in fact, than my 250. I did this with the CDI map on both Sun and Rain. The switch wasn't quite as noticeable as it had been on other Gasser 300s I've ridden, but it took a bit of the edge off the power. Some switches (on base model EC300s) have made it a little difficult (or at least slow) to get on the pipe. I would need a lot more time on the bike for a final verdict on the switch.

Through the twistier sections of single tract I had a lot of opportunity to see how the bike accelerated out of corners. Frankly, I was expecting more from the power, as compared to my mighty RB-modded DE250. But then I realized that my bike sports a 52T rear sprocket while Matt still has his stock 48T unit. Clay Stuckey told me that he prefers a 50T.

Of course, perceptions can be confused. While I lamented the lack of stand-out power, I was having to brake *massively" when approaching the next corner. Apparently the 300 was hurtling me faster than I could register by the seat of my cactus-violated butt.

It appears that the 2011 turns even quicker than the 2008 model that I last rode which was faster than my 2005. Not nearly enough miles to get a good feel for it, but the bike pointed very accurately. If it was not for the extra speed I was entering into corners (until I get used to it), I think the bike was handling easier than my '05. I didn't get a feel for ease-of-roll-in as compared to the new KTMs (which have improved markedly). Roll-in on the GG was quick but I can't make a comparison yet.

After a few miles, I started feeling guilty, so I headed up a long sand wash to see what the upper gears felt like. The gear box shifted positively and the bike was stable in the sand wash at speed. For the life of me I can't recall if he had a stabilizer mounted.

I arrived back at the race camp ground to see Matt waiting expectantly for his baby. No motorcycles were injured in the production of this Ride Report.

Last edited:
my reply

Rick, my bike does not have Sachs. It has Zokes up front and Ohlins on the rear. I do have a Scotts stabilizer and I love it. Thanks for not harming my baby. The bike is so smooth that you don't realize how fast you are going, i noticed that too. I got 49 hours on it now and have no buyers remorse. Thanks for the write up.

Rick is good about not abusing people's bikes. Nice write up.

Rick, I now have a 2011 250 Sick Days you can come test ride.:D

Eh, I have to admit that I dumped Boomer's 275 on some slippery leaves right in front of him. He was impressed.

Matt, that motor is *very* smooth. Both in how it rolls on the power (electric is the over-used term) -- my 250 has more discernible hit -- and in the engine vibration at all RPMs. My 250 has more buzz (even before my power valve started to rattle four months ago).

I just recalled an impression that I had while first riding the bike. That FMF Q-Stealth makes the bike sound so quiet that I got the impression that a 200 was idling beneath me. When zipping on the trail, it was almost as if I was wearing earplugs. That might be a part of the weird speed sensation.

Matt, have you ever gotten the clutch to chirp or squawk? Mine doesn't squeal like others have reported here, but once on long hill climb I got it to sqawk when I hit zero momentum----> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Txl5KaDg1Ls after the 3:40 mark. It sounds like "ohhhhh."

Good on ya, mate.

Australia and I go back a ways. I saw Midnight Oil here in Phoenix in 1988 just before they released their first song. I was ten feet from the tall, bald, attorney-lead singer guy. The tenor horn dude muffed his part that night.

As well, I was the one who brought the Australian Moyes hang glider to Arizona. Bill Moyes essentially invented hang gliding, and his son Steve was world champion in the 1980s. I flew a 162 GTR and a 147 Xtralite.

That is Today in Down-Under History.

We now return you to our musical interlude with The Seekers and the Easy Beats.

G'day.

Just remembered, again. When I did my first run, the bike wasn't particularly warm. So that sign-off might have been an artifact of that. Never mind. :confused:

...As well, I was the one who brought the Australian Moyes hang glider to Arizona. Bill Moyes essentially invented hang gliding, and his son Steve was world champion in the 1980s. I flew a 162 GTR and a 147 Xtralite.....

RickD,

Do you still fly? Coincidentally, I just bought a 2011 Gas Gas 300 6-Days and I also fly HG's. Flew in your area last September in the Santa Cruz Flats competition at Casa Grande, AZ and plan to be back next year. I fly a rigid wing, not flex. I recently saw Bill and Steve Moyes in Australia in 2009.

This is the best time of year in Northern California, it's the start of flying season and the middle of the riding season. I just picked up the Gas Gas from the dealer today and as soon as the rain stops I'll take it out for a break-in.

Steve

mlbco, I was a Hang 5 when last flew my Moyes in 1998. I've had a bad back since high school and it got progressively worse through the years. In the spring of '98 I was doing a complete tear-down inspection of the glider and was on my hands and knees for a couple of hours. When I stood up I felt a twinge in my back.

Over the next few days the twinge turned into a full lock-up with me listing to starboard for four months, well into July. My chiropractor couldn't get me unlocked on several attempts.

It took me three years to get my back stable again -- and toting Moyes gliders could no longer be a part of my regimen. I still have to be very careful. If I'm nice and square on the bike, I'm fine. If I have to pick it up at odd angles during a long ride, I'll be on ice for a few days to keep the spasms from taking over.

I think you understand what the sight of cumi clouds do to me after all these years.

I've always thought that Gas Gas is to Moyes as KTM is to Wills Wing. :D

I was doing a complete tear-down inspection of the glider and was on my hands and knees for a couple of hours. When I stood up I felt a twinge in my back.

Over the next few days the twinge turned into a full lock-up with me listing to starboard for four months, well into July. My chiropractor couldn't get me unlocked on several attempts. :D

Hey Rick, I have had similar issues with my lower back and sciatic nerve. Probably from my MX riding as a younger guy & also from acting like a younger guy while wakeboarding. :) I had tried my chiropractor, who used to work for the KC Chiefs, and an orthopedist and then I found an acupuncturist- now I'm a believer in them. I literally drug my leg in and walked straight out after an hour session. I was referred by a 68 year old customer who was down to hobbling with a cane and put the cane in the closet after a couple of sessions of acupuncture. Just a thought as I can attest to their abilities.

I would have loved to have an acupuncturist work his magic on me back then. Unfortunately I had to wait for a willing physician with a syringe full of Mercaine to loosen me up for several pulls on the chiropractor's rolling table whacker thing. Even then we almost gave up. Finally it popped loose and I was on my way for exploration of a stretching and strengthening routine that wouldn't cause a relapse. It took me months to figure out just how hard to work out, what stretches were dangerous, and how to calm things before a small tweak turned into a major spasm.

Back